Rapeseed Wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Since it is hydrogenated rapeseed oil, it would have the same SAP value at least, so that's where I would start if I were in your place. I have not used it myself for soap, and have not found a source that provides any stats on the FA make-up of rapeseed wax, because it is mostly sold for use in candles, melts and cosmetics.

do you have a source for the ingredient?

I can give you a link to a site that gives the most information: https://mothernaturesgoodies.co.uk/...ustainable-wax-for-container-and-jar-candles/

I am a complete newbie to soap making but I thought it might be fun to try and devise a vegan soap recipe with a low carbon footprint. As I am in the UK I am therefore looking for European grown ingredients. I think I might have to lean towards a castile type soap :) Rapeseed wax just looked like an interesting ingredient especially after reading through the really long soy wax post!! I am learning so much on here!!

i don't know anything about the product. i would look at olive oil pomace if you want a low carbon footprint soap.

I've been conducting some small batch experiments using (from left to right): 1) 5% rapeseed wax 2) 5% rapeseed wax with sodium lactate 3) 5% rapeseed wax with a brine solution 4) 8% rapeseed wax with sodium lactate and sugar. They need at least another 2 weeks to cure but after a wee test run in the shower this week soaps 2 and 3 are very promising. Soap 4 is too new to test yet. As you can see they have all formed a light soda ash which I am now off to learn how to remove...:)

upload_2019-6-7_13-44-4.jpeg

Looks promising Fiona! And lovely colours to boot.
I am looking forward to your results. I just experimented with 5% Japan wax in a batch yesterday and will be unmolding today.

Did you see any difference in reaching trace? What temperatures were your oils and lye solution?

Looks promising Fiona! And lovely colours to boot.
I am looking forward to your results. I just experimented with 5% Japan wax in a batch yesterday and will be unmolding today.

Did you see any difference in reaching trace? What temperatures were your oils and lye solution?

Ooh I’ve never heard of Japan wax, would love to hear about your results. What I am trying to find is a recipe that uses mainly European ingredients and that produces a hard and long lasting bar even though it is palm oil free and vegan… not asking for much lol!! I read the two long threads on soy wax and did experiment with it but I found the gmo element unappealing. So I came to rapeseed wax which is non gmo and is 100% pure wax. I had read that it is a very hard wax which is why I started out with 5%. I followed the advice from the soy wax thread (Saranac?) to soap warm and keep the temps above 120f. I did have to gently reheat the batter and lye mix on the cooker once or twice to maintain the temperature. I thought the mix behaved well and took about 10 – 15 mins to get light trace although I was careful to only use a whisk rather than a stick blender after I had added the essential oils. I poured at mid trace (temp by then between 115 – 120f) then just covered the mould with a towel. I could unmould and cut after 18 hrs. If I had the patience I would maybe try leaving it covered for longer in the hope that this would prevent the soda ash but it was interesting to watch the ash appear before my very eyes. The ash is only a light covering and as an amateur metal smith I find patinas very appealing!

My recipe (which I’m happy to share if anyone is interested) has no butters and has the basic ingredients of olive oil, coconut oil, avocado oil, castor oil and the rapeseed wax. I have then been adding the salt and sodium lactate for experimentation. After 2 weeks of curing, the lather is creamy but needs more bubbles. Today (Soapy Saturday – yay!!) I will try a new oil for better lather and definitely add some sugar. Please note, I am a newbie and this is an experiment!! I also have a problem giving short answers:oops:

Ditto on being long-winded!
I'm not exactly a newbie, having more than 25 batches under my belt, but mostly cold process (CP).
I live in El Salvador, a place where hobbies aren't the norm, and soaping supplies don't exist. Also awareness of environmental concerns are only in a classroom setting with the very young. Plastic is everywhere, palm oil use is widespread in cooking because it's so cheap, and ppl regard artisanal products as undesirable or for use by "the lower classes", so it's an image thing to use homemade soap.
Having said all that, I myself try to use as many easy to use supplies because I've got budget constraints, at the same time I DO care about the environment.
My suggestion is to keep things as local as possible. I tried soy wax because I'd been given some, but I found it not necessary, and couldn't buy more anyway because there's no such thing here. I use whatever oil I can find because it's here. Encouraging importation also creates a carbon footprint, and if I want to start giving soap-making classes to my neighbors (a very rural and impoverished community) then I'd have to keep things cheap.
Just my 2 cents.

Ditto on being long-winded!
I'm not exactly a newbie, having more than 25 batches under my belt, but mostly cold process (CP).
I live in El Salvador, a place where hobbies aren't the norm, and soaping supplies don't exist. Also awareness of environmental concerns are only in a classroom setting with the very young. Plastic is everywhere, palm oil use is widespread in cooking because it's so cheap, and ppl regard artisanal products as undesirable or for use by "the lower classes", so it's an image thing to use homemade soap.
Having said all that, I myself try to use as many easy to use supplies because I've got budget constraints, at the same time I DO care about the environment.
My suggestion is to keep things as local as possible. I tried soy wax because I'd been given some, but I found it not necessary, and couldn't buy more anyway because there's no such thing here. I use whatever oil I can find because it's here. Encouraging importation also creates a carbon footprint, and if I want to start giving soap-making classes to my neighbors (a very rural and impoverished community) then I'd have to keep things cheap.
Just my 2 cents.

Seems like we hold the same values!! I live in a small fishing community and we are hoping to set up a community hub where people can barter and exchange homegrown produce. I hope my soap will be up to standard by then:)

Hello Fiona, May I ask if you managed to find the sap numbers for Rapeseed wax? I have just purchased some and like you finding it the devil to find information about. I understand that there are two types of Rapeseed oils which have different numbers however they are sold as just Rapeseed so this complicates matters too? I am waiting for a response from the company I purchased from but it is looking sketchy. If anyone else know do please shout!

Hello Fiona, May I ask if you managed to find the sap numbers for Rapeseed wax? I have just purchased some and like you finding it the devil to find information about. I understand that there are two types of Rapeseed oils which have different numbers however they are sold as just Rapeseed so this complicates matters too? I am waiting for a response from the company I purchased from but it is looking sketchy. If anyone else know do please shout!

Hi, I'm just using the sap numbers for rapeseed oil and ignoring the iodine and INS values with fingers crossed!! I'm trying to formulate with low cleansing, high conditioning and low linoleic/linolenic...soap is still curing:(

Hi, I'm just using the sap numbers for rapeseed oil and ignoring the iodine and INS values with fingers crossed!! I'm trying to formulate with low cleansing, high conditioning and low linoleic/linolenic...soap is still curing:(

Thank you for that. I too am a low cleansing person ( you know what I mean!) and Rapeseed would be a good filler to make a hard soap as I too am in the UK and its from our neck of the woods. I do tmake a hard...ish soap but it means using far more expensive ingredients such as butters etc. in higher amounts than I would like. I have used Stearic also which works but if you are a Palm no, no person that's not viable unless you go the non palm stearic route! I will report back if I get a response on SAP numbers for the supplier.

Thank you for that. I too am a low cleansing person ( you know what I mean!) and Rapeseed would be a good filler to make a hard soap as I too am in the UK and its from our neck of the woods. I do tmake a hard...ish soap but it means using far more expensive ingredients such as butters etc. in higher amounts than I would like. I have used Stearic also which works but if you are a Palm no, no person that's not viable unless you go the non palm stearic route! I will report back if I get a response on SAP numbers for the supplier.

A few days ago (after reading the really long shaving soap thread) I googled stearic acid and it took me to the Soap Kitchen who have a product made from Rapeseed oil but they then call it a stearin. I don't have room in my brain yet to investigate this...so much learning on here!! I would love to hear the response from your supplier:thumbs:

Yes
A few days ago (after reading the really long shaving soap thread) I googled stearic acid and it took me to the Soap Kitchen who have a product made from Rapeseed oil but they then call it a stearin. I don't have room in my brain yet to investigate this...so much learning on here!! I would love to hear the response from your supplier:thumbs:
I had seen that and am thinking of giving it a go, but its the " derived from " which has stopped me and I think that I would need to call them to investigate further before purchasing, I wonder if it has PKO in it to harden it more?

Yes

I had seen that and am thinking of giving it a go, but its the " derived from " which has stopped me and I think that I would need to call them to investigate further before purchasing, I wonder if it has PKO in it to harden it more?

I emailed them and here is their reply:
The product is entirely rapeseed oil derived. The “>90%” refers to the stearic acid content. Other fatty acids derived from rapeseed oil are also present in this product, making up the remaining ~10%.

They have no experience of using it for soap though only for candlemaking:(

I emailed them and here is their reply:
The product is entirely rapeseed oil derived. The “>90%” refers to the stearic acid content. Other fatty acids derived from rapeseed oil are also present in this product, making up the remaining ~10%.

They have no experience of using it for soap though only for candlemaking:(

That is really interesting and helpful, I think I shall give it a go, don't suppose they mentioned a SAP number did they?

I have asked them directly what the SAP numbers are so I shall report back when I hear, fingers crossed!

Latest posts

Back