Ranting

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
There’s a company that does all kinds of how to videos and today they are doing cold process soap. It’s like a train wreck. I know I should turn it off and look away but here I am still watching it. They said you can use glass but didn’t give any kind of warning that glass can shatter. I know many use the older thicker glass but a newbie is likely just going to go to a store and get any glass container that might not be safe. They’re also saying you have to use hot process to make Castile soap, that you can’t do 100% olive oil in cold process. There’s more that is making me twitch but I’ll stop there.

I might just be on edge today too. Found out that my daughter’s dog is very ill and may not have much time left 😞

Last edited:
Sorry to hear about your daughter's dog.

I got attacked all the time on Brambleberry's videos when I pointed out they shouldn't be using glass. And it wasn't just using glass bowls to mix soap...they were also pouring lye solution from glass.

You're correct about glass...not all of it is tempered, and new Pyrex is not the same as old Pyrex and even old Pyrex would fail.

I actually use plastic...from the Dollar Store...for mixing and for my Lye Solution. When I make double batches, I used a plastic dishpan also from the Dollar Store...it's workable, but a little unwieldy. Now I use recycled plastic buckets from my hard oils.

I get that glass looks great on video, but you can also get clear plastic HDPE containers that are less dangerous. And of course, you should examine all your equipment on a regular basis to make sure it is in good working order.

There’s a company that does all kinds of how to videos and today they are doing cold process soap. It’s like a train wreck. I know I should turn it off and look away but here I am still watching it. They said you can use glass but didn’t give any kind of warning that glass can shatter. I know many use the older thicker glass but a newbie is likely just going to go to a store and get any glass container that might not be safe. They’re also saying you have to use hot process to make Castile soap, that you can’t do 100% olive oil in cold process. There’s more that is making me twitch but I’ll stop there.

I might just be on edge today too. Found out that my daughter’s dog is very ill and may not have much time left 😞
Some days can be heavier than others, hang in there!

Hopefully, no one was hurt, but on the flip side - this is how we figure things out, and having a memorable visual to go along with it will ensure we never make the same mistake twice! xx

They said you can use glass
I put 'using glass' in the same category as using lye. Take good care. And there's no sense in getting your knickers in a knot over some other soapers using it. The choice is yours and yours alone. ;)

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/thr...ve-you-done-today.42556/page-1267#post-938603
Found out that my daughter’s dog is very ill and may not have much time left
That's tough. My heart goes out to you and your daughter. 😢

I'm sorry to hear about your daughter's dog - it's so tough emotionally, yet we know they don't live as long as us and we take them in and love them anyway. 💕

With you on the glass ... if the manufacturer recommends against it's use for hot caustic liquids (which etch glass and can cause unexpected shattering), suggesting it's use without any warning is not too great (and especially so from experienced soapers, who may not have had trouble with the older glass - modern glass is nowhere near as resistant - a new soaper can't be expected to know there's a difference).

I'm a little curious to watch your "train-wreck" video lol - I don't think I've seen one where olive soaps "have to be hot processed"! 😅

Take care of you 😘

Not to pile on, but I'm with you on the glass mixing container issue, @~Dragonfly~ and @TheGecko and @Marsi. The company that makes the borosilicate glass for Pyrex products says right on their website, that their product is NOT resistant to strong alkaline solutions (which would include NaOH solution and soap batter), and I quote:

All Pyrex®, Quickfit®, SVL® and many MBL® and Wheaton® products are manufactured from 3.3 expansion borosilicate glass (unless otherwise stated).

Due to the demanding conditions that laboratory glassware is subjected to, maximum chemical toughness, minimum thermal expansion and high resistance to thermal shock are the key properties of 3.3 expansion borosilicate glass that make it the ideal material for use in the laboratory.

3.3 Expansion borosilicate glass has a very high resistance to attack from water, acids, salt solutions, halogens and organic solvents. Only hydrofluoric acid, hot concentrated phosphoric acid and
strong alkaline solutions cause appreciable corrosion of the glass.

Even if the glass doesn't spontaneously shatter due to corrosion from long-term exposure to lye, it can definitely break if it is dropped or knocked over. If a plastic container is dropped, there may be a mess, and a cracked container, but at least you wouldn't be cleaning up a caustic mess PLUS shards of glass.

Latest posts

Back