Rant... Thoughts welcomed.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LupitaTX

Reaction score
I started making soap by first overloading my self with information on google and books, i always read that you need to cure the soap 6-8 weeks, now presently speaking... I think a bar of soap becomes better with age or in other words with a longer cure. I am getting pretty fed up with people thinking its okay to sell soap CP or HP that has been curing only for a week and the thing is its a lady with a wonderful method, expensive ebook but worth it for many, idk why she encourages this. Rant over.

Last edited by a moderator:
I think these are idiots who don't know the difference between a cure and drying soap. If they want to sell crappy soap then more power to them. You could try to educate them about what proper cure is but I doubt they would listen. Personally, I would stay away from wherever this was posted in order to save your sanity.

I think these are idiots who don't know the difference between a cure and drying soap. If they want to sell crappy soap then more power to them. You could try to educate them about what proper cure is but I doubt they would listen. Personally, I would stay away from wherever this was posted in order to save your sanity.

^ This.

I am currently a member of 1 (one) FB liquid soaping group. It has enough people from here and the Yahoo Liquidsoapers group that sanity and reality is kept in there. I am not the lone voice of reason in the wilderness. I simply don't have time or patience to deal with those folks. Please note that many people who leave here join those...

Last edited:
I feel like its a trend on facebook groups to give the worst advice. I did leave the group, only because i caught myself thinking some negative stuff. Smh.

Yes, I too see it all the time on Facebook groups, poor information being given and folk believing it. It's like a circus. I just walk away. I only scan a few of them just to see how dumb people are. I've even seen it on some reputable sites and nobody corrects them.

^ This.

I am currently a member of 1 (one) FB liquid soaping group. It has enough people from here and the Yahoo Liquidsoapers group that sanity and reality is kept in there. I am not the lone voice of reason in the wilderness. I simply don't have time or patience to deal with those folks. Please note that many people who leave here join those...

Why would anyone leave here?? This place is like the Wikipedia of Soaping. Pic a topic and you'll likely find a thread somewhere that discusses it in depth, with pics, and tons of first hand experience with pics to back up anything.

Makes no sense to leave here.

Well, if that gal's criteria for "cure" is correct, then the CP soap I made last weekend is ready to sell this weekend. It's beautifully hard and dry feeling ... that's all that's needed, right? I'm gonna get the labels made an.....

Hey!... Stop! ... Take your hands off me! ... No, don't drag me off to Soaper's Purgatory!!!! ... Noooooooooo!!!!!

:mrgreen:

:banghead::banghead::banghead:

1447336561078.jpg

I find some useful information in some groups, but not stuff that has been broken down and well thought of, like i tend to find here. I feel bad for her costumers.

I am deleting the attachments. It is not the policy of SMF to publicly criticize another soaper, especially with pictures and name supplied.

Fair, ill delete the post

Last edited by a moderator:
Not long ago I ran across some You Tube videos on soap making that just blew me away, especially after all the info I've learned here. It wasn't the curing period, and she did stress safety, it was the process itself. This lady was working outside, which as fine but she barely measured anything accurately. She 'cooked' like my Grandma did with food.... 2 big spoons of each oil, just enough water to dissolve the lye then add water from a plastic 1 gal jug added 'until it looked right'. Her finished soap looked OK but I can't see how it could be right. And to imagine she sells it!

Makes me SO glad I found SMF!

Last edited:
I am in three groups on FB "Canadian soapers" , Soap & Lotion Makers of Canada, and Canadian quild of Soapmakers, chandlers and cosmetic crafters, and I had not seen such info. Maybe I am in right groups then. My groups help everyone with info, especially for Health canada and translation English-French. I had not seen any nonsense there. I just wonder what group is giving such info as a week of curing is enough...........:))

I wonder.....do you suppose these "instant soapers" gather in secret FB groups or Starbucks to laugh at us "sloooww and pokey soapers"?

Seriously, you would think that after a few months of making soap they would notice that the bar of soap they pulled off the rack to restock their shower performed very differently than the week old soap they first tried? Wouldn't they? :confused:

I would think that, if nothing else, the fact that the five days old soap dissolves very rapidly and lathers poorly compared to aged soap lasting much longer and lathering much better would be an indicator, but I guess not. For folks looking for the quickest way to sellable, all that matters is that they found what they think is a shortcut.

Latest posts

Back