rant: credit fraud

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
so someone managed to steal my debit card information and use it at a Best Buy located several states away. Now I'm out over $600 and have to deal with filing a claim to get our money back. at least the bank caught them when they went back to the Best Buy for a second 600 plus charge. this is the second time in about four years we had credit fraud from the same state several States over from us. I have no idea who these people are but it is so frustrating to deal with this. The bank told me most likely it was stolen from a gas station scam or a little restaurant. They have several fraud cases opened Secret Service investigating or something of that nature. It's absolutely irritating and makes me want to pull my hair out! I just had to rant somewhere about this because I am sick and tired of having to deal with something like this. thanks guys for listening I just had to complain somewhere.

Ugh. That sucks. That's why I've mostly stopped using my card at gas pumps. Right now credit card companies are pretty good about reversing charges or deleting (for lack of a better term) fraudulent charges. But I think with this type of crime on the rise, they're going to get a lot less forgiving and more customers are going to be left holding the bag. So I'm really trying to go back to cash vs my card

Thx both of you. At least the fraud dept was on top of things and didn't allow the second charge to process. That, and I'm grateful my entire account wasn't drained! The card was cancelled immediately, and I already made it to the bank and disputed the charge and received a new card. Funds should be back by Tuesday. Feel better now things were tended to.

So sorry LP, this happened to you but also glad that you are getting your money back. I hope no one has to ever loose their hard earned money to credit fraud.

Oh, I had my credit information stolen 3x this year. Once from the T-Mobile leak, once with Amazon cards on file (I'm not even going to begin going into that one, it was a nightmare!) and one where my card was physically stolen and used after I lost it. It was all in a 3 month span...

Let's just say it has not been the best year for me personal information wise. I did get free credit monitoring though and I've started to used my credit card more over my debit card as they have MUCH more protection. I also no longer save ANY of my cards with my login accounts (Walmart, Amazon, ect)

I really hope things get better for you! It's a crazy world out there and it feels so awful when something like this happens. Then people will say "all your informations out there anyway, it was bound to happen some time" or "you need to be more careful about where you use your card" or my favorite was "I don't understand, you got your money back didn't you?" like that's supposed to make you feel better?? (Btw, no one has done that here!) How about no. It sucks. There's no doubt about it. You feel violated in a way you didnt think was possible. I won't say I completely understand because each case is different but I can empathize with you on this one.

I remember the feeling and I agree, it is frustrating. That's part of why I use paypal when I can and I try to avoid using sites where I cannot use it. I also tend to carry cash with me when I travel with my family. My bank actually didn't let me use my bank card one time when I was in NC. That was brutal but I appreciate the safety measure.

Ugh. That sucks. That's why I've mostly stopped using my card at gas pumps. Right now credit card companies are pretty good about reversing charges or deleting (for lack of a better term) fraudulent charges. But I think with this type of crime on the rise, they're going to get a lot less forgiving and more customers are going to be left holding the bag. So I'm really trying to go back to cash vs my card

Nah, currently it's the business owners that get left holding the bag - you didn't think the credit card companies ate the charge, did you? ;)

So far I've been lucky and the worst was someone hacking my paypal account to use on World of Warcraft stuff. At this point I never use my debit card online anymore - I have a credit card just for that. It's truly depressing that we have to be so careful and then still end up a victim anyway. I'm sorry!

I feel much better after tending to things. It is very frustrating to see a large amount missing, but it could've been worse.
As my husband stated, we aren't out any money, the bank is. Fraud has surpassed security at an alarming rate, and that's very disconcerting for the future. Anyone else receive fake irs calls so far? I almost want to record a convo with people like that and post it to youtube, me harassing them *snickers*. Would be hilarious!

I got it this week too and I am also thinking it is a leak from Amazon. I only use my card for deposits, never in stores and usually have a prepaid or amazon card. I recently ran out and the hubby wanted a little something, so I used my card on file. Bam, 2k in charges many from Germany. ****ards, that is for my house payment. Banks don't lose the merchant is charged back

I am always surprised by the fact that the USA hasn't adopted chip and pin. We've had it for years and while it isn't foolproof it prevents a lot of problems arising. I don't know why it isn't popular, is there a reason?

Ah, thx carolyn for the education! I haven't used amazon since early Feb, so unsure. Seeing as it's local and several in my town had issues, they think it is local fraud as opposed to online.
Saponista, never heard of it. Sounds intriguing, and per your response, promising!

I am always surprised by the fact that the USA hasn't adopted chip and pin. We've had it for years and while it isn't foolproof it prevents a lot of problems arising. I don't know why it isn't popular, is there a reason?

We are getting there. I have 1 credit card with it and my bank debit card was just replaced and now has it. Machines are popping up all over for them ad well.

All of the new cards now have a chip and pin because of so many fraud problems lately.

Only problem is a lot of places aren't accepting them yet...

Oops! Cross posted w/ KC

I always infuriated trying to pay for gas at US pumps. It asks for a zip code and I obviously don't have one so I have to go inside and guess how much gas will fit in the tank. Drives me mad! Hurry up and get chip and pin so I can pay at the pump!

My credit card was stolen after used it at Home Despot, to the tune of thousands of dollars in attempted charges. My mom had the same thing happen and it was so bad she had to get an entire new account. Not just cards, but an entirely new bank account.

Anyone else receive fake irs calls so far? I almost want to record a convo with people like that and post it to youtube, me harassing them *snickers*. Would be hilarious!

Hahaha- we've never interacted with one directly, but we do get one about every other week on our answering machine. :lol: It's hard to believe that anyone would fall for such a blatantly fraudulent scheme, but some people actually do.....and it can turn scary, such as what happened last month to the guy in Colorado Springs, CO: http://www.kktv.com/home/headlines/Standoff-on-North-Side-of-Colorado-Springs-368078141.html

The first time we got a fake IRS call, I thought it might have been one of our friends pranking us (he can be a bit of a goofy practical joker). We thought it night be him because the scammer guy had a really thick Brooklyn accent.... just like our friend. Plus, the script that the scammer was verbalizing in his spiel was so ridiculously silly that there was no way it could ever be taken seriously. But it turns out it wasn't our friend pranking us..... it was just a criminally sicko scammer.

Like I said, we get one of these calls about once every other week or so on our answering machine, but we've been noticing that with each call, they are upping their game, or rather improving on their approach to make themselves sound more 'legit'. The last one we got- yesterday, as a matter of fact- was a computer generated female voice. It's kind of gotten to the point that it's turned into a bit of regular comedy relief for us (gee, how will they sound this time? lol). We just have a good laugh at it before deleting.

IrishLass :)

The only scammer calls I dealt with personally are the IT scammers, the ones that pose as customer service for a computer company. I was thrown off by the call at first and kept asking questions until the guy lost his temper. Red flag right there.

Because this is 'Murcia and we like, no DEMAND, our privacy. You put a chip in our cards and the government will know where we are and what we're buying. Our tin-foil hats won't protect us!!

(Did I ever tell you that I work for the government? I do. A law enforcement agency, actually. I'm not paranoid. The government is spying on me.)

Back