Rant about lying soapers

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jblaney

Reaction score
I'm so irritated with these soapers that blatantly lie to customers to get them to buy their products.

Thursday evening my husband and went into a very cute gardening new age store near where we live. I have always loved the store and they give classes and sell many pretty things…including soap. I walked over to the soap as I was talking to the owner and picked up one. They were M&P with fairy scenes on them. The ingredients label said “goats milk, olive oil, jojoba oil & glycerin”. That’s it.

The owner said they were all natural and a couple came into his store who make them. He said the woman is an artist and carved those molds herself and the husband makes the soap. I wanted to scream!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I found the EXACT same mold on ETSY from Taiwan!! I went to their website and no where do they say they make their soap base or list the ingredients in any of it.

The entire reason the shop owner bought the soap was because of the back story he said…which were all lies. He said he thought it was hard to make those and I told him no, it’s not.

Anyway, I may be overreacting, but it disgusts me. I make all my molds myself and I don’t need to lie about it. I have nothing against M&P soap, I make one soap that is M&P, but I don’t lie about it. I told the owner I buy my base for that one soap.

I asked the owner if he buys locally and he said he does. I told him about my soaps and he said he would love to see them. I was going to wait until we moved to start selling, but not anymore. I’m going for it now.

Can't say I'm surprised by people and their sense of ethics or lack thereof. Good luck with the endeavor but if you're moving soon, mayber it would be better to hold off or hold back a little bit, until things are settled and you and yours are situated. But if that's not the case, good luck and congrats.

Congratulations Jen. It is about time!!! You make spectacular soaps.
This is a bit off your topic, but I also hate liars. There is a vendor at our market selling Body Bionix relief lotion that will help inflammation along with moisturizing @ $65.00 a jar. $119 online. My SIL's friend bought one and would not believe me I could dupe it for him. For that price I could have made him a bucket full. Anti inflammatory ingredients are witch hazel and aloe. Everything thing else was a few botanicals including arnica, sunflower oil, etc. I hate people like this. Also no ingredients list on their website. http://www.bodybionixusa.com/information.html

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and compliments. Even if the store does not decide they want them, it's the push I needed. My husband is really pushing me and is so supportive, so I gotta do it.

That's an outrageous amount of money for moisturizing cream. The packaging doesn't even look expensive for what they expect people to pay. I tried to get more info, but could not. When I tried putting the product in a shopping cart in hopes of seeing more info, it said the seller was unable to collect payments at this time. There were a few complaint on BBB about them, but I was unable to read them completely. These people should be fined for this and have their business license revoked. I hate liars too.

My husband says I should not tell the owner I found the same exact mold for sale from Taiwan on Etsy. I know he's right, but I'm still pissed as these a#@holes. Liars and people who are cruel to animals are on the top of my list of horrible people.

Seeing as they lied about the mold they probably also lied about the soap. However I want to bringing it to you attention that some of us Do make our own "melt and pour" soap. I make many types of translucent or semi translucent soaps that most people would think are a base, but are not. I do however fully label all the ingredients.

Thank you everyone for the encouragement and compliments. Even if the store does not decide they want them, it's the push I needed. My husband is really pushing me and is so supportive, so I gotta do it.

That's an outrageous amount of money for moisturizing cream. The packaging doesn't even look expensive for what they expect people to pay. I tried to get more info, but could not. When I tried putting the product in a shopping cart in hopes of seeing more info, it said the seller was unable to collect payments at this time. There were a few complaint on BBB about them, but I was unable to read them completely. These people should be fined for this and have their business license revoked. I hate liars too.

My husband says I should not tell the owner I found the same exact mold for sale from Taiwan on Etsy. I know he's right, but I'm still pissed as these a#@holes. Liars and people who are cruel to animals are on the top of my list of horrible people.
I think I would not be able to keep my mouth shut and tell the owner. I also looked up the company and found the complaints. I am trying to get Jerry to toss them out of the market, but I know he needs the money.

Seeing as they lied about the mold they probably also lied about the soap. However I want to bringing it to you attention that some of us Do make our own "melt and pour" soap. I make many types of translucent or semi translucent soaps that most people would think are a base, but are not. I do however fully label all the ingredients.
I guarantee Jen knows that some people make their base, but I doubt those people do.

Stuff like that frosts my cake. I'm with you - liars and animal abusers are my top two. (Okay, and Ramsay Bolton but he is both) I went to a local farmers' market and there was one soap stall. Looked like all of it was M&P (I use it too for my pies and such-I'm not anti-mp), but certainly not labeled that way. She also gave out a pamphlet that said her soaps cured all sorts of ailments like eczema. Not helped with the symptoms, but cured. I wanted to scream "it's a lovely looking, well packaged soap. Be proud of that". Instead I bought a cookie from another vendor. Still wishing I privately said something to her.
Congratulations on your leap. Nice to know honest products are going on the market.

Dorymae - Yes, I know some people make their own M&P base. I'm not upset, I know you were just trying to educate me. Seawolfe and cmzaha have both shared their lovely base with me and it's great stuff, but I know most do not make it. I know that if this soap company made it, they would be screaming it from the tree tops on their website, which they are not.

It makes sense that if you make your own base, you would list the ingredients. My biggest concern with them not listing ingredients is that someone may be allergic to something in their soap. They used the work "ingredients" then listed a few things. This is very misleading and unethical. Per the labeling guidelines, list them all or make it clear the list is not comprehensive.

i totally agree. There's nothing worse than being in the know and seeing swindlers taking advantage of people. <insert standard rant about EO charlatans at craft fairs here>

There's a shop in Breckenridge selling homemade "fresh" CP soaps to tourists. They have maybe a week cure on them - some can be still indented with a thumb. There's a tiny notice at the back of one of their cases that soaps are best after 2 more weeks. How many of those tourists are going to immediately take them back to their hotel rooms, use them, and decide that homemade soap is an inferior product? I'm sure they don't care that they will never get repeat business. There's so many people through those places that never return. I'm sure that's how half the restaurants in Estes Park are still in business (lousy food that no one in their right mind would ever buy again - but that's okay - they only need to sucker in tourists once).

Latest posts

Back