Random Acts Of Kindness

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

commoncenz

Reaction score
A few weeks ago, I was discussing the value of "Random Acts Of Kindness" with some friends. One of them is ... well, let's just say he can be a little (a lot) selfish. And refused to see the value in doing almost anything without the possibility of a material reward (He's a headcase, but a childhood friend).

Anyway, it's amazing how things work out. For the last 4 - 5 years, I've been doing odd jobs and running errands for a lady who was my grandmother's best friend. Her husband passed away about 5 years ago and her family is sometimes not the best at checking up on her. I never charged her a dime because she's like family to me. Also its in my power to help and charging her for little things like unclogging a sink, weatherizing her house each fall and picking up her mail just didn't feel right.

Now, for the last year I've been attempting to make my own wooden soap molds without having the proper equipment. Specifically, it's a lot easier to make cuts with a table saw than it is with either a hand saw or even a jig saw.

So, this morning I helped this lady by removing some stuff from her deck and storage room and placing it in her garage. (a lot of ... some of it was heavy too .. lol). In all the years I've helped her out, I'd never been in her garage. As I was putting the stuff away for her, what did I happen to see? A Craftsman table saw! Looked to be in pretty good shape, might need new extension wings as one appeared a bit rusty.

I've seen that she is reticent about selling her husband's things when she was asked by a family member about buying his truck. So, not getting my hopes up, I asked her if she would be willing to sell the table saw.

Her response: "No"

A few seconds go by ... and: "because Fred wouldn't want me to sell it to you. He'd want me to GIVE it to you."

It's amazing how things work .. Often, Random Acts of Kindness are rewarded with ..... RANDOM ACTS OF KINDNESS ... when you least expect them, but need them most.

I firmly believe that whatever kind of energy you put out into the world, comes back to you. I'm so happy for you, and it must have given her pleasure, too, to be able to repay your kindness in a way that was meaningful to both of you. Think of all the wonderful things you'll be able to build now!

I firmly believe that whatever kind of energy you put out into the world, comes back to you. I'm so happy for you, and it must have given her pleasure, too, to be able to repay your kindness in a way that was meaningful to both of you. Think of all the wonderful things you'll be able to build now!

I've been doing nothing but thinking of those things since this afternoon ... lol. Like, I was thinking of ordering some of those "ladder shelves" for the craft show I'm going to in March (my first). But now, I can build them myself!

Could not have happened to a better man!

Now, you are just a state, away - so once you perfect your molds let me know, and maybe we can have a meet up and trade. hahah!

Oh, there's going to be a lot of experimenting going on ... just have to find the time. Like I said above, I've committed to a craft show at the end of March .. and I have a bunch of soap to do make in the next 2 weeks in order to be ready. Then there's wrapping and labeling it all in addition to what I already have on board. SMH, I don't know how I get myself into these things ... but pressure is good (sometimes)

Generosity is rewarded by more generosity.
Some kind of old principle at work here...

Great to here the good news. I had been missing your presence.

Steve

It's been a hectic winter. First my uncle (Older Teen) was a little under the weather. Then I caught the flu and was down for a couple of weeks. Then my son (younger teen) had some issues associated with trying to cut too much weight for wrestling.

In the midst of all this, I had started to sell to friends/family ... That was thrown out the window when one of my friends showed my inventory list around her office ... which led to ORDERS ... lots of orders; while I was not feeling my best. Also, my son took it upon himself to make a FB page ... which led to ORDERS. All of which made me question my decision to sell to friends/family in the first place because friends and family took me out of my comfort zone. lol

So, between nursing the sick, being the sick and fulfilling orders, I've been beat down for a little while. Now I look at my soap stock and realize that I've got to do it all again for the craft show. smh ... It may sound kinda crazy, but you know ... this IS kinda fun.

Last edited by a moderator:
You're obviously a giver and a natural caretaker. Elders, neighbors, kids, you're a port in the storm, sounds like. And how wonderful that what you have given has come back to you in an unexpected gift! I have no doubt that will continue to happen. See, the good guys win :)

It's really heartwarming to hear such a lovely story. Hope your show goes well and if you get time, show us what you made with the saw!

What goes around, comes around. You did kindness, you get kindness. And you may be the only person standing between her and an institution, which is what usually happens to the elderly who can't take care of their homes. Kudos!

Thank you all. I just wanted to share my happiness with folks that I figured (OK, KNEW) would understand it. A lot of my friends and family would roll their eyes and kinda hem and haw as soon as I got to the part about making soap molds. lol .. God bless 'em, but they don't see why I have such a fascination with "soap of all things". But, they sure line up when it's time to test a new recipe! LOL

Your experience is just the perfect way to end my day. I too am thrilled for you, and it brought a tear or two of joy to my eyes. Thanks for sharing your experience.

Luckily, you have this forum to come to when you want to communicate your love of "soap of all things". No eye rolling from me.

May your life continue to be blessed, as you give blessings to others!!

I'm a believer in random acts of kindness. I do them all the time because I firmly believe that you never know when your simple act can change someone's day, attitude, or life. Life dishes out enough stress and hardship on its own, so if a little act of genuine kindness can help balance that, then I'm all for it.

Awww that's such a nice story - be kind and it will come back to you.

I love that I can talk about all things soapy on this forum I have literally bored my children husband and friends to death talking about it. Unusually a friend of mine has about 12 grandchildren and the little ones from 9 to 14 are just so interested and pick them all up - love the smells and shapes it's really sweet and surprising - two of the 8 year old told me how much they like my male bath bombs I was so chuffed.
Sadly all talk of soapy things and making will soon go out of the window as I have a guesthouse and I have to open up sigh.......

Back