Rancid

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapMom

Reaction score
Is it the smell that tells you if a soap went rancid on you? Or are there other tell tell signs as well?

I have only had one batch of soap that got DOS. And it was not what I expected. The Dos's are bright orange, like fluoro. I had expected them to be like a dull orange. No, they are traffic stopping orange, about the size of a pin prick, but all through the soap. I used a higher than normal amount of canola in that batch, so I think that's what caused it.
Having said that, I have never been able to tell if an oil is rancid before soaping with it. Any oils that I have opened I actually keep in the spare fridge, because it is so hot here at the moment, all my hard oils would be liquid at room temperature, so I keep them refridgerated so that they are stable.

I have had one batch with DOS....I superfatted some CPHP with olive oil, and it was dead in less than six weeks. Stinky stuff too.

I have one coffee soap that I made a month ago that has DOS but it smells nice, just like coffee and I think its just that the brown coloring i used didn't get mixed in very well. It was one of the first batches I ever did.
I did not know that oils could go rancid on you as well. How can you tell if you have a rancid oil before you soap with it?

It will smell stale and off.....a good fresh oil either has no odor at all or smells fresh and clean. An oil that has gone over won't.

you know when your oil is rancid - it smells off. It's not a nice clean smell. It's hard to describe, but once you experienced it, you will know.

The closest I can think off is old oil paintings or cheap beef burgers

Latest posts

Back