Rancid soap??

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks for sharing. How would one keep dust off of soap while it's curing?
Some folks use a sort of curtain of gauze around the curing racks. Others enclose their curing trays inside of a screened set-up. Strategically placed covers (paper, tissue or cloth) above the top rack can keep dust at bay. Fans may blow dust, but keeping the area clean and free of dust-producing items helps as well (no pets in the room and that sort of thing.)
Where do you get a good ROE? They mentioned adding it to the oil before making soap. I make HP soap. Could I add it while cooking the soap? Will it leave a fragrance in the soap?
See this link for places to buy ROE (a previous post in a different thread).

As for the smell in soap, that really will depend on various factors. I do not smell it, even though my olfactory sense is very acute (or perhaps I just like it enough that it doesn't bother me). Some of the factors could be where purchased (how the manufacturer prepares the ROE; not all are equal); percentage of Carsonic Acid (see the above link for more information); when added (when bottle is first opened, or when making the soap); percentage of ROE used in the soap (see the link I provided for correct amounts recommended).

Thanks for sharing. How would one keep dust off of soap while it's curing? Where do you get a good ROE? They mentioned adding it to the oil before making soap. I make HP soap. Could I add it while cooking the soap? Will it leave a fragrance in the soap?
I use stackable racks and cover the top stack with a clean cotton dish towel.

Hey everyone,

So I have been making my own soap now for about a year. I use just a few basic ingredients because my skin is Severely sensitive and I react to many things. I got it down to palm oil, palm kernel oil, lye, and water and I use the soap Calc. Those are my ingredients and they work well for me. Last year I noticed my soaps were getting rancid rather quickly and could not figure out why. I switched to making hot process soap and that seemed to help. I also started using a smal fan to blow on them while they are curing over the 4 to 6 weeks. Well everything was going great, no more rancid soap. Well now here in Chicago it is spring and the humidity is up. Well all my soap that I just made a couple months ago went rancid! The only thing that is different is that it seems like in the winter, the soap has no issues( it is also very dry in the house). What can I do to prevent this? I bought a small table top dehumidifier which I will get tomorrow. I am thinking maybe if I place this dehumidifier in the area where I cure the soaps this can help? We have the AC on as well on hot humid days. Should I also use a fan on the soaps along with the dehumidifier? I am at a loss and not sure what to do. I mean I lost like a whole batch of soap because it smells kind of rancid( that old oil smell). I do not think it is safe to use rancid soap right? Any suggestions? Does anyone else use a dehumidifier? Does this prevent soap going rancid?
Hello Jen did you resolve your problem? I have exactly the same so i would like to know what have you done? Thank you for your answer 😁

Hello Jen did you resolve your problem? I have exactly the same so i would like to know what have you done? Thank you for your answer 😁

Hey there. I am having some luck with the rancid issue. A person on here adivsed that I switch my recipe adding a little more lye and water which in turn lowered the Fat perventage to in my soap. My original recipe from soap calc called for 128.18 of Lye and 260.25 of water. Well I instead used 265.73 of water and 130.88 of Lye. I also added a tiny bit of ROE( rosemary Olestrin) and run a dehumifier and fan in the room where my soaps cure. It seems to be working so far. I make my soap HP too. I find it works better.

Hey there. I am having some luck with the rancid issue. A person on here adivsed that I switch my recipe adding a little more lye and water which in turn lowered the Fat perventage to in my soap. My original recipe from soap calc called for 128.18 of Lye and 260.25 of water. Well I instead used 265.73 of water and 130.88 of Lye. I also added a tiny bit of ROE( rosemary Olestrin) and run a dehumifier and fan in the room where my soaps cure. It seems to be working so far. I make my soap HP too. I find it works better.
Ok happy for you and thanks for the answer!

Latest posts

Back