Rancid Palm oil

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

HoiPoloi

Reaction score
All I wanted to do was make another batch of soap! Then I opened my Palm Oil (which I've only had since mid Jan) and boy what a smell!! I couldn't quite place the smell until my daughter said "It smells like pumpkin guts." OMG, she nailed it. It smelled like carving pumpkins at Halloween. Yuck! Luckily the company I bought it from will replace it, but Wow, how weird!

lsg

Staff member
Admin
Reaction score
My, I have palm oil that is a year old and still smells great. I keep my oils in the basement and my butters refrigerated.

HoiPoloi

Reaction score
I've never had any oil go bad! It was crazy! I also store my stuff in the basement where it's chilly! So weird! And I was shocked that I only had it a few months and it got like that. Oh and it was a strange shade of greenish also. Ugh!!!!

cmzaha

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Curious from whom you purchased your palm. I have palm over 2yrs + old and it is fine, which came from a de-stash lot I purchased.

lionprincess00

SPONSOR
Reaction score
Could it be pumpkin seed oil? May explain the scent and discoloration. Never seen or used it, so I'm unsure the physical properties of the oil. Thought I'd just mention it

HoiPoloi

Reaction score
I bought it from Bulk Apothecary. They've always been great, and didn't hesitate to replace it. It was really weird!

...and no it's Palm. I used almost half of the container of it before it went south. Maybe it was Palm Oil wanting to be Pumpkin oil. Just wanted to change it's stripes!! LOL!!

Last edited by a moderator:

RobertBarnett

Reaction score
At least BA stood behind their product, that is good to know.

Robert