Ran out of oil ...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tklechak

Reaction score
Hey All!1 Made my second batch 2 weeks ago, and used the last of my Olive Oil Pomace. I went to the local WalMart figuring I would pick some up. I could not find POMACE, but there was just about everything else under the sun. Somewhere along the line, I got the feeling I should *only* use Pomace. If this is true, is there any other type of OO I can use??? I want to stay with my basic recipe for now. There are just too many options when buying something nowadays .....Oh, you want aspirin?? Regular or extra strength?? buffered or non-buffered 12 hour or 24 hour?? tablets or capsules?? Well, you get it ....... What is the difference in OO's??? Thanks for any help! Timm ....

I use the OO from Costco and I've never had a problem with it. I think pomace is supposed to be the best for soap b/c it's got the most fats. I think you would be fine to replace your pomace with non-pomace OO.

Pomace is used a lot because it's cheaper and has more unsaponifiables. I too use Costco's regular oo, and have used evoo in the past. Just run your recipe through a soap calc because pomace has a different SAP than regular oo.

Pomace traces faster than the other types, be aware of that when you soap with something else.

follow-up ...

O.K., I thought I'd follow up .... (I'm terrible at that) ....... I was going through oil withdrawls although I've only done 2 batches and don't know when I'll do the next batch, so I found some OO at the grocery store, so I bought 2 pints. On the bottle, is says "Pure Olive Oil" ... on the ingredients, it says "100% olive oil. It doesn't say anything about Pomace OR EVOO first cold press or anything like that. My question is this ..... when using soapcalc, should I use the plain "Olive Oil", or the "Pomace" olive oil?? I'm thinking the plain OO, but I'm not sure. Thanks in advance for your input/ help.

One other question, my wife wants some "scrub" in the soap, so what can I use that is "natural"??? Thanks Again !!! Timm .....:wave::confused:

Yup, just use plain OO!

As for natural scrubbers... Coffee grounds work (some find it too scratchy), oatmeal works wonderful! Though unless you know your wife can handle larger chunks, I'd throw it in a blender or food processor and pulse it until it's a powder. (I don't find large pieces of oatmeal scratchy at all, so I only lightly grind mine.)

Yup, just use plain OO!

As for natural scrubbers... Coffee grounds work (some find it too scratchy), oatmeal works wonderful! Though unless you know your wife can handle larger chunks, I'd throw it in a blender or food processor and pulse it until it's a powder. (I don't find large pieces of oatmeal scratchy at all, so I only lightly grind mine.)

Thanks for your replies FlybyStardancer!! Like I said, I don't know WHEN I will do my next batch, but I sure got nervous not having any oil! I am hooked after only 2 batches. My son's GF wants to learn too, so I may have a soap buddy !! :smile::thumbup:

I've only made a couple handful of batches myself, and I'm already in a place where I need to give some away! And to think I have a bunch more that I want to make... Hmmm... lol

I like poppy seeds or even cranberry seeds for scrub. The cranberry seeds are more rugged.

I just dump them in the batter until it looks good - not helpful, I know. Last time I maybe used a tablespoon for a 2 lb. batch...I don't think there's any right or wrong; it's just your personal preference.

Latest posts

Back