Ran out of castor oil

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Todd Ziegler

Circle Z soaps
Reaction score
I ran out of castor oil and won't be able to get any for a while. I searched the forum for suggestions on replacing the castor oil and I came up with this recipe. Anyone care to make any suggestions for changes? I am open to any ideas because I figured this is the time to experiment. I will continue to use castor oil when I get more because I like the soap it makes but who knows, might find out I don't need it.

The odd number for lye is an adjustment for to much water in my sodium lactate. I made it from powder and used 50% water instead of 40%.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200503-091721_saponiCalc_compress65.jpg
    Screenshot_20200503-091721_saponiCalc_compress65.jpg
    50.6 KB · Views: 26
I can tell the difference in my soaps that have cured for a long time like 6 months the difference without castor oil. I use 8% in my recipes. I ran out of castor the other day and bought some in town. It was super expensive!!

Yeah I'm going to buy a 4 ounce bottle and try to find my other 4 ounce bottle to go with it. My standard recipe was 5% but I increased it to 8%, depending on batch size, that comes out to be 4 - 5 ounces. It is available to me but I have been layed off for 5 weeks now with no income. Puts a damper on everything.

Between the PKO, CO and babassu oils, I think you will have plenty of bubbles. Dissolve 1 tsp PPO of sugar in some of your batch water, then add it back in before adding the lye. I feel like the sugar gives the bubbles a boost too.
ETA: Sorry you have been layed off. I hope things change for you soon.

Between the PKO, CO and babassu oils, I think you will have plenty of bubbles. Dissolve 1 tsp PPO of sugar in some of your batch water, then add it back in before adding the lye. I feel like the sugar gives the bubbles a boost too.
ETA: Sorry you have been layed off. I hope things change for you soon.
Thanks for the tip. I forgot to mention that I was going to use some sugar.

We are going back to work next week for 3 days.

Yeah I'm going to buy a 4 ounce bottle and try to find my other 4 ounce bottle to go with it. My standard recipe was 5% but I increased it to 8%, depending on batch size, that comes out to be 4 - 5 ounces. It is available to me but I have been layed off for 5 weeks now with no income. Puts a damper on everything.
I want to try a new recipe with 8%castor oil. I have some old bars without castor oil.......sugar and a long cure..sure you will be fine.sorry about your job loss.stay safe

Know I'm late in replying. Here are my thoughts, sugar is your least expensive option as recommended above.
Another option is honey, added to your oils, at 1 -3 teaspoons ppo.
Also, beer syrup (simmer beer for 15 - 20 min) has properties that boost bubbles. Make 50/50 lye masterbatch, use beer syrup for rest of liquid, added to oils. If you want more detailed instructions on this, let me know.

Update, while I was going through my luxury oils, I found a bottle of castor oil. Yeah! Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to try some of them and see what the results are. That way I will be ready if this happens again.

Update, while I was going through my luxury oils, I found a bottle of castor oil. Yeah! Thanks for all the tips. I'm going to try some of them and see what the results are. That way I will be ready if this happens again.
Yaayyyy

Know I'm late in replying. Here are my thoughts, sugar is your least expensive option as recommended above.
Another option is honey, added to your oils, at 1 -3 teaspoons ppo.
Also, beer syrup (simmer beer for 15 - 20 min) has properties that boost bubbles. Make 50/50 lye masterbatch, use beer syrup for rest of liquid, added to oils. If you want more detailed instructions on this, let me know.
Sure you are not late...much appreciated

Sure you are not late...much appreciated
I couldn't believe it when I saw the bottle. Then it clicked in my head, that I never bothered to check my lotion and balm making supplies. Where I proceeded to find OO, SAFO, SUFO, pumpkin and 64 ounces of daikon seed oil. I posted a separate thread about the daikon oil because I'm not sure where or if it would be good in soap.

I couldn't believe it when I saw the bottle. Then it clicked in my head, that I never bothered to check my lotion and balm making supplies. Where I proceeded to find OO, SAFO, SUFO, pumpkin and 64 ounces of daikon seed oil. I posted a separate thread about the daikon oil because I'm not sure where or if it would be good in soap.
64 oz of daikon oil! That couldn't have been cheap! I wouldn't normally advise to use it in soap, but maybe I would try if I had that much to make a small batch to see. Otherwise I would save it for skin and hair products. I do see Ariane Arsenault has a video using daikon extract. (I'm at work so I can't watch it here but maybe it would be helpful.)

64 oz of daikon oil! That couldn't have been cheap! I wouldn't normally advise to use it in soap, but maybe I would try if I had that much to make a small batch to see. Otherwise I would save it for skin and hair products. I do see Ariane Arsenault has a video using daikon extract. (I'm at work so I can't watch it here but maybe it would be helpful.)

Thanks, it was for lotions and creams but was just curious about it in soap. I got it on sale with some rewards points added in, so it was really cheap.

I love castor oil so much. I definitely feel the difference, in emolliency.Does anyone else add a little to HP SF? I add apx 2% to other oil. FYI, I have dry skin.

Back