Rainy day-soaping day?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlybyStardancer

Reaction score
So this is my first day without anything scheduled for two weeks (I got to sleep in and it was gloriouuuuuuuuus), and I kinda wanted to do some soaping or canning... But then Mr. Weather decided it would be rain today. (Which we desperately need, I'll admit.)

Do any of you soap on rainy days? Does the humidity cause a problem?

FlybyStardancer? In other parts of the world this magic that we call rain is a perfectly normal occurrence, and I understand that in these other places people don't even change their plans when it rains!! Strange, I know.

Well, there are other things that can't be done on rainy days due to the humidity (certain forms of candymaking come to mind). It's not entirely unreasonable.

Though I'm going to need to figure out the best place to mix my lyewater... I had to switch to doing that outside when I moved because this house doesn't have a fan above the stove.

Sometimes it feels like it rains in England all the time (well, a slight exaggeration!). I find humidity increases my soda ash but the soap is fine. I tend to prop open my back door so it doesn't move and mix my lyewater inside the doorway on a table, so it naturally vents outside. It's protected from the rain and wind because it's still indoors. Can't wait to see your next creation!

I find that I need to be quicker weighing my lye or it will start to absorb humidity from the air and screw up the weight. I can counter this by turning on the vent in the kitchen before I start, moving the air helps dry it out a little.

It rains here enough that if we changed plans every time it rains, we would never get anything done. We are in the middle of 10 days straight of rain right now.

And yes, you can't make candy most of the time here.

Last edited:
I wouldn't let rain or humidity level keep me from making soap. It would make me reconsider bath bombs but I have crappy luck with those anyway . . . even when it's not raining. :?

Latest posts

Back