Rainbow teardrop

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mzimm

Reaction score
As I mentioned in an earlier "what soapy thing have you done today" post, I introduced a dear friend to a day of soaping with me. Last week she had suggested we get together on one of her upcoming days off. This was to be a rare treat for us. I had moved several counties away from her almost three years ago. Tax season was over now - she's a CPA at a large accounting firm - and she hoped we could take advantage of her break from work together.

"Wonderful!" I said, "how would you like to spend our day?"

"Well...I was hoping...are there any soaps you've been wanting to try?"

(You see why I love her, right? :wink: )

I told her that I'd entered a soap challenge for the first time (Great Cakes May Challenge - the "teardrop"), and maybe we could do a practice run so I could try out the suggested recipe and see how the new technique works.

"Sure! Can you send me the info ahead of time, so I can see what it's all about and be ready to help?"

Well, the rest is history. She pored over all the videos, understood the challenges of the pour, thought about colors, conceived of an idea. She was so engaged with every detail of our project when she got here that I decided to let her run with it. We watched Amy's tutorial together, as well as the other two links provided, and discussed tactics. She chose and dispersed her colors, and from the time the lye went into the oils, it was all her baby. Did I mention she has an incredibly patient, orderly mind? Her preparation of the batter was textbook. It took her about 20 minutes to get to the Goldilocks point, and when we both agreed she'd probably gotten there, she mixed her seven (yes SEVEN!) teardrop colors, and two base colors.

Her idea was to get the feeling of a rainbow after a storm while the sky was still dark and roiling. I gulped (a lot!) and told her, if nothing else, she would be helping me learn how much time the batter would give me for my subsequent attempts. My only input on the colors was to suggest she do an ITP swirl for her base colors to get the dark stormy sky effect on her side pours.

As you can see, she pulled it all off beautifully! We FaceTime'd the cut together last night, and this morning I threw together a light box to photograph her soap. I was only planning to photograph one or two, but as I beveled and cleaned them up, I realized that every single one of them showed off her perfectly conceived, perfectly accomplished pour.

I am so proud of her, and wanted to share.

image.jpg

So pretty! I love the colors against the neutral - but not boring - grey. Makes the whole thing pop. How nice for you both, such a nice story.

This was her first soap? Oh dear, my first soap never looked anything like that. It was a brown piece of sad glop of a soap that was soap alright, but not like a piece of art, like this, lol : D

For what it`s worth though, I am sure you gave her moral support that made the process easier for her. Sometimes having friends beside you can make you focus and perform better ; )

Exquisite soap; and the in the pot swirl suggestion was brilliant That is one beautiful, elegant soap!

As I mentioned in an earlier "what soapy thing have you done today" post, I introduced a dear friend to a day of soaping with me. Last week she had suggested we get together on one of her upcoming days off. This was to be a rare treat for us. I had moved several counties away from her almost three years ago. Tax season was over now - she's a CPA at a large accounting firm - and she hoped we could take advantage of her break from work together.

"Wonderful!" I said, "how would you like to spend our day?"

"Well...I was hoping...are there any soaps you've been wanting to try?"

(You see why I love her, right? :wink: )

I told her that I'd entered a soap challenge for the first time (Great Cakes May Challenge - the "teardrop"), and maybe we could do a practice run so I could try out the suggested recipe and see how the new technique works.

"Sure! Can you send me the info ahead of time, so I can see what it's all about and be ready to help?"

Well, the rest is history. She pored over all the videos, understood the challenges of the pour, thought about colors, conceived of an idea. She was so engaged with every detail of our project when she got here that I decided to let her run with it. We watched Amy's tutorial together, as well as the other two links provided, and discussed tactics. She chose and dispersed her colors, and from the time the lye went into the oils, it was all her baby. Did I mention she has an incredibly patient, orderly mind? Her preparation of the batter was textbook. It took her about 20 minutes to get to the Goldilocks point, and when we both agreed she'd probably gotten there, she mixed her seven (yes SEVEN!) teardrop colors, and two base colors.

Her idea was to get the feeling of a rainbow after a storm while the sky was still dark and roiling. I gulped (a lot!) and told her, if nothing else, she would be helping me learn how much time the batter would give me for my subsequent attempts. My only input on the colors was to suggest she do an ITP swirl for her base colors to get the dark stormy sky effect on her side pours.

As you can see, she pulled it all off beautifully! We FaceTime'd the cut together last night, and this morning I threw together a light box to photograph her soap. I was only planning to photograph one or two, but as I beveled and cleaned them up, I realized that every single one of them showed off her perfectly conceived, perfectly accomplished pour.

I am so proud of her, and wanted to share.

That is absolutely gorgeous! I kind of have to agree with Theresa. I'm not very fond of your friend lol. I've got a bad case of the jellies in fact! Lol

I love the restraint. Instead of the whole rainbow, just one teardrop against the storm clouds. Beautiful!

It has been suggested by another viewer that we call this soap, "Rainbow's Birth," since she says it appears to be a rainbow being dropped down from above, like the baby in a stork's package. :clap:

Thank you to everyone for your generous responses!

Latest posts

Back