Rainbow Bridge

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Navaria

Reaction score
We took this precious part of our family on one last ride tonight, ending with helping her cross the Rainbow Bridge. I'm gonna miss my sweet Shawnee Rose.

20160425_152747.jpg

So sorry for your loss. If only they would live longer, dogs would be perfect beings.

Such a precious loss. I'm sorry.

The kids: let me know if you need ideas for helping them grieve well. We have a lot of experience in our house.

Last edited:
Upon reading your post my mind went back to a Garfield special I saw as a boy. Garfield and Odie were in the city pound and a man can to take Odie to be put down. Garfield held Odie's paw one last time as he was dragged away. Camera pans back to Garfield still in the cage as a tear rolls down his face and the last line of the song plays "I never thought we'd have to say... good... bye". Still gets a tear from me even today.

The special was called "Here Comes Garfield" and can be watched here...

http://kisscartoon.me/Cartoon/Here-Comes-Garfield/Movie?id=51363

Start watching at 17:30 to see the scene. Takes about 3 minutes.

Thank you all. She had liver and kidney failure and it was starting to wear on her. We held off as long as we could but it was time.
Lenarenee, the are actually doing really, really well. We've always taught them death is only sad for those left behind. It's a joyous event to go Home. Yes, there were tears, but it quickly turned to talk of what she could do (jump on the couch again, run as much as she liked) and what she could have (chicken bones and all the eggs she could stomach) now that she was with God.
Kamahido, I remember watching that when I was little too. It reminded me of my brother and myself. Fight like...well, cats and dogs, but underneath a whole lot of love.

Thank you all. She had liver and kidney failure and it was starting to wear on her. We held off as long as we could but it was time.
Lenarenee, the are actually doing really, really well. We've always taught them death is only sad for those left behind. It's a joyous event to go Home. Yes, there were tears, but it quickly turned to talk of what she could do (jump on the couch again, run as much as she liked) and what she could have (chicken bones and all the eggs she could stomach) now that she was with God.
Kamahido, I remember watching that when I was little too. It reminded me of my brother and myself. Fight like...well, cats and dogs, but underneath a whole lot of love.

Oh that's wonderful to hear - they're already able to remember the good times. Kids live in the moment, so they grieve the same way - for a moment, then be fine, then grieve again, then.....it's quite healthy.

We draw pictures, write stories - made a cemetery garden under a tree (several fish, 2 hamsters, a bee, and 1 cat) with a decorated plaster stepping stone. Soon they'll be another hamster...

Navaria, I'm so sorry for your loss. I know how it feels to lose such a precious part of your life. I still grieve over the loss of my constant furry companion almost 2 years later.

What a precious picture, Navaria. Beautiful kids with a very special family member. They'll always look at that photo and fondly remember her bright spirit. Rest in peace, Shawnee Rose, knowing how much your human family loved you. My deepest sympathies to you and your family, Navaria.

Ohhh, I'm so sorry Navaria! My heart aches.....there have been so many "goodbyes" like this one in my life, but my kids also learned....so much. As did I.
Your family looks like.....what I imagine you are---full of sweetness and happiness and love just being together. Thanks so much for sharing them with us!

Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your loss. Our fur babies mean so much to us, it's so hard to say goodbye to them. My thoughts are with all of you

I'm so sorry for your loss. It really touched my heart when you mentioned the beautiful way you explained her passing to the kids. You sound like a truly amazing Mum.

My daughter is the one who touch me Rowan. She said it's kind of like opening a Christmas present. The box can be thrown away. The good stuff is inside. She's 7. I was floored. Her words were a little muddled, but the thought came through loud and clear!

Way to do right by Shawnee Rose. Euthanasia is one of the best things we can do for our pets. That is, after reciprocating love during their entire lives. So sorry, though, that you have to be without her for the rest of yours.

That's right Cara. And that's what I told the kids. We have taken care of her almost her entire life. We've provided for her, protected her, and loved her. Now we had one last duty to do right by her.

Back