Rain Cybilla reviews? Also, how long do FOs last?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Moebym

Reaction score
Hi, all,

I recently bought three different Bramble Berry FOs, and I could not find Rain Cybilla in the fragrance oil review chart. The reviews on BB say that it accelerates trace and promotes gel phase. Has anyone here used this before, and if so, was this your experience?

These FOs had been stored in brown glass bottles for an unknown period of time in the garage of the person I bought them from, and I put them in my cold, dry, and windowless closet immediately upon getting home. How long can FOs last when stored properly?

Thanks in advance!

If they smell okay then you are good to go. I have some fo's that are at least 8 yrs old. If it states it promotes gel it means it overheats so soap very cool even chilling your mold in the freezer before pouring. I have not used that fo but many sea and rain fo's accelerate and Coconut fo's tend to overheat. I have a coconut I love but even using chilled liquids and a chilled mold it will overheat before I can get it to the freezer. Some are super heaters. If you soap the Rain I suggest making no more than a 1lb batch until you determine how it goes. Even though it accelerates I would use no lower than a 30% Lye Concentration. Not water as percent of oil weight. Higher water causes higher heat. In soap calc the default 38% is approx a 26-27% Lye Concentration

Thanks, cmzaha. It's good to know that the oils will last me a while, since I bought quite a bit. And is raising the lye concentration something I can also do if I want to soap with any liquids containing sugar in order to prevent overheating?

Many of us here soap with a 33% lye concentration. I have to give credit to Irish Lass posting that she found it to be a real sweet spot, giving enough time to swirl most of the time and slows heating a few years ago. I would not use anything with sugars ie, milks, honey, sugars, etc with the Rain Fragrance

Back