Quick rebatching question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seo

Reaction score
Roughly how long after rebatching should the soap take to set in the molds? Would it be 24 hours like regular CP soap? Rebatched a batch last night and it's still not set up. Just wondering what I can expect as I've never rebatched before. If all goes well, I've got several batches to rebatch!

Thanks so much! This board is so informative! [/quote]

It all depends I rebatch all the time and it depends on how much water you added. I do not add much water so my soap comes out within a few hours.

Well, the rebatching instructions I had said to add 1 cup of milk to 1 pound of soap, let it sit for 2 hours than heat for 2 hours, stirring every 15 minutes. The soap was 1 week old. So, any ideas now? Did I get bad rebatching instructions? And how do you rebatch without any water or milk? Just heat, blend and pour?

For soap that's only one week old, I don't think I would have added any more liquid. 1 cup of milk is a lot.
You can rebatch in the oven or a crock pot. Just cut up into chunks and let it melt slowly. It won't be pourable, but you should be able to glop it into your mold.

Irena

I did my first rebatch last night and mine set up in a few hours too- but I used much less milk than that.... half a cup I think. I eyeballed

Well rats! I wonder if my batch will set up then? I was going to try to rebatch a second batch today. Should I just cut down on the water then? The batches are about a week old (all that I was hoping to rebatch that is) Should I add any water at all?

seo said:
Well rats! I wonder if my batch will set up then? I was going to try to rebatch a second batch today. Should I just cut down on the water then? The batches are about a week old (all that I was hoping to rebatch that is) Should I add any water at all?

I would definitely cut down on the water or milk. Maybe 1 TBS, since it's still a fairly new batch.

Irena

Thanks for the help. The batch I rebatched yesterday is setting up a little bit. I'm hoping another 24 hours will help? I really hope I can save it!

Currently rebatching 2 more batches (small batches again) withOUT any liquid! ;) Let's see if that helps! (they're only 2-3 days old)

seo said:
Thanks for the help. Currently rebatching 2 more batches (small batches again) withOUT any liquid! ;) Let's see if that helps! (they're only 2-3 days old)

You should be fine.

You're welcome.
Irena

First rebatched batch is in the mold. Starting to set up, I think? Hope? Second batch isn't ready yet, but it's getting there. I ended up having to add about a tablespoon of water to that batch as it wasn't melting at all (had been in the oven at 170 for over an hour) Do you think it will be ok?

seo said:
First rebatched batch is in the mold. Starting to set up, I think? Hope? Second batch isn't ready yet, but it's getting there. I ended up having to add about a tablespoon of water to that batch as it wasn't melting at all (had been in the oven at 170 for over an hour) Do you think it will be ok?

Sounds like it will be fine. :)

I had mine in at 170 for over an hour too was fine in the end! :) If the soap isn't grated and just small chunks then it takes longer I think. If you grate it I supposed it could speed up cook time!

Back