Quick question?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OferaliO

Reaction score
Sorry, I tried searching, I swear. Do I need to use distilled water in brewing coffee for my coffee soap? I haven't made a batch of coffee in two years.. Feeling as though the answer is yes but hoping not because I have none on hand. I have been using aloe for all my recent batches.

ETA: In searching, I read of the danger in microwaving distilled water... would a coffee pot pose the same risk?

Last edited:
Hi, I use distilled water for soaping because I have hard water (and thought I had to). However, I've read that other posters use tap water, well water, rain water and bottled water. So, no, you don't "have" to use distilled water. However, if you have very hard water where you are, you may want to use filtered or bottled if you have that on hand instead of tap water.

Edit: I do not believe a coffee pot will pose a problem with distilled water because the hot water is being dropped onto something as opposed as something being dropped into the hot water. However, I just googled using distilled water with coffee and, because it lacks minerals, it is not recommended. The aroma particles in coffee will not completely transfer to the water and the distilled can leech metals from the coffee maker. Hhhmmm. Very interesting. I would have thought distilled water would have made a better cup of coffee. Now we know. (But you weren't planning on drinking it, were you?:lol:)

Last edited:
Ditto what Theresa said.

For what it's worth, distilled water heated in a coffeepot will not act the same way as distilled water (or any kind of water) heated in a microwave. Microwaves heat things much differently than coffeepots or stoves.

I know first-hand what water that has been heated in a microwave can do..... or rather second-hand, because it happened to my hubby not me. The cup of water he heated up in the microwave for his tea exploded in his face when he took it out of the microwave, and he received instant second degree burns on his forehead. Not fun. This happed back in his college days and he's since healed nicely from it. For what it's worth, the water he used was tap water.

IrishLass :)

Ditto what Theresa said.

For what it's worth, distilled water heated in a coffeepot will not act the same way as distilled water (or any kind of water) heated in a microwave. Microwaves heat things much differently than coffeepots or stoves.

I know first-hand what water that has been heated in a microwave can do..... or rather second-hand, because it happened to my hubby not me. The cup of water he heated up in the microwave for his tea exploded in his face when he took it out of the microwave, and he received instant second degree burns on his forehead. Not fun. This happed back in his college days and he's since healed nicely from it. For what it's worth, the water he used was tap water.

IrishLass :)

Oh my gosh! Thank heavens he's OK! So THAT's why we're supposed to let everything sit for 5 minutes in the microwave after cooking! I always wondered what was up with "allow to sit for 5 minutes before removing" on all of my food. I guess Marie Callendar doesn't want mega lawsuits over exploding dinners! Thank goodness I'm forgetful and end up having to reheat everything I've just nuked to bring it up to room temperature. My 5 minutes of sitting tends to last half an hour and I wonder why I'm "still hungry" when I know I made dinner an hour ago. "Making" and "eating" are two different animals.

Latest posts

Back