Quick question, well and septic tank

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there anyone else out there that can't tolerate the feel of microfiber cloth on their hands?
Yep! It makes my skin crawl. We stayed at my MILs house one time and she had some kind of microfibre sheets :eek: I spent the whole night trying to avoid touching them with the palms of my hands or the soles of my feet... Not very restful!

Is there anyone else out there that can't tolerate the feel of microfiber cloth on their hands? It makes my hands feel scaly, sort of like mini-cockleburs all over. I used to just put on latex gloves to use them, then discovered if they were wet, they are fine to use. I keep one by the sink, knock it into the sink and wet it down, then I can pick it up to use it...bared handed, no less!
This makes me feel less crazy - I have the same aversion. Hate that feeling.

I'm on a septic & drain field system so I hope adding to this thread isn't going to jinx me...

I use cheap flour sack towels I get at Walmart (link below) to wipe out my soap mixing containers & spatulas soon after soaping.

Walmart Flour Sack Towels
Yes! Perfect. And cheap too. Wish i knew about these before i bought my wipes.

Microplastics and nylons and rayons never crossed our minds unless it was nylon stockings with a seam down the back. For a night on the town, maybe?

But before that, we made our own cotton or wool garments and linens by hand. Some wove, knitted, crocheted, embellished, etc. our own linens & garments. We washed by hand in a bucket or barrel using a wash board
View attachment 57043

or later got a wringer washer.
(My mom had one of these when I was little.)

Or like my mother's mother who did not have indoor plumbing except a pump from the well to bring water to the kitchen (and no indoor toilet - only an outhouse), the waste water from washing was tossed out onto the ground outdoors, or often a well-placed disposal area planned specifically to utilize the spent water if the area tended to be arid.

Yes, I remember the water pump in the kitchen and the outhouse. Every time we visited up until grandfather's second wife insisted on installation of indoor plumbing. I think that was around the late 1950's to early 1960's when they finally installed a WC. It was such a pain in the patootie to wander out in the dark carrying a torch down a dry rocky path with cactus and rattlesnakes about to use the privy in the middle of the night! Visiting my mom's dad was a real adventure! He was a crusty old guy, I can tell you that.

And yes, even I used a bucket, a big stick, & rung the clothes out by hand when we went camping when my kids were little, at least until I found a nearby town with a laundromat. But until then, it was the old-fashioned way of washing laundry and hanging them to dry on a line (at least when we were camping.) Thankfully I have enjoyed the luxury of indoor plumbing everywhere I have lived from my birth forward.

OMG yes yes and yes. I too have lived through the wringer/washer. In fact i thought they were all gone until i went to college and my landlady had one. She was surprised i knew how to use it. And the pump and outhouse (my uncles), or the country outhouse where my cousin and I had to use an old catalog to wipe with, and i still have my moms old scrub board. Lol thanks for taking me down memory lane.

Is there anyone else out there that can't tolerate the feel of microfiber cloth on their hands? It makes my hands feel scaly, sort of like mini-cockleburs all over. I used to just put on latex gloves to use them, then discovered if they were wet, they are fine to use. I keep one by the sink, knock it into the sink and wet it down, then I can pick it up to use it...bared handed, no less!

Old often-washed microfiber cloths become almost brittle feeling, apparently related to how they are washed. I have read information about how to wash them so that this doesn't happen, so I am sharing a couple of links:

https://www.onegoodthingbyjillee.com/how-to-clean-microfiber-cloth/https://www.towelsupercenter.com/Blog/how-to-wash-microfiber-towels.html

Am reading this thread at just the right time. We are cleaning out my mom’s home (she passed away in December) and new are probably going to sell our house and buy my brother’s half to move there. It’s on well and septic and I have been discouraged about it to the point of considering giving up soaping. Now I have some ideas to think about. Thanks!:)

Am reading this thread at just the right time. We are cleaning out my mom’s home (she passed away in December) and new are probably going to sell our house and buy my brother’s half to move there. It’s on well and septic and I have been discouraged about it to the point of considering giving up soaping. Now I have some ideas to think about. Thanks!:)
Oh. I'm sorry to hear about your Mom. I'm sure it would be sweetly sentimental to move there.
If you do, you might consider having the septic and well systems inspected. In our area this is usually about $200 for each, but might be worth it if your Mom's well and septic are over 10 years old. This is what we were told when we looked at buying some of the older houses in our Village. When we decided to build, our septic guy told us to start right away with at least bi-monthly enzyme treatments for our new septic.
Not because I'm a soaper, but because that's what he's used on his system that's now over 30 yrs old. He has various winter hobbies that require washing up and unavoidably introduce some gunk into his septic. Any natural enzyme treatment will do - "just read the reviews".

I live in South Florida, and we have a well and septic. This house was a foreclosure when we bought it, so I had the septic system evaluated and checked before we purchased.
It was healthy, so I didn’t have to do much with it asides keep it healthy.
I get it pumped once a year, and use enzymes to run through once a month.

I wipe my soap dishes down, use the microfiber (that Also makes my skin crawl, I use gloves always) and let sit overnight. Then I run through my soap/studio specific dishwasher, with Dawn detergent as the soap. I also run my silicon molds through my top opening washing with Dawn that is in my barn.

I’ve had my studio for 3 years now, and making soap for 5, and no issues yet. (Knocks frantically on wood)

We have had the septic protector @KimW linked above for years. My hubby knows the guy who invented it and bought it from him when he was just starting his business. I don't remember what we paid for it back then, but I think he has sold his company. I will say, if we had to replace it for some reason, it is completely worth the money IMO, and I would do it again. The amount of microfibers it collects from each load of laundry is eye opening. We've had to replace the filter bags a couple of times, but since we've become empty nesters with much less laundry I can't remember the last time we needed new ones. I'm talking about this one: Filtrol 160 Washing Machine Lint Trap Filter | Free Shipping!

I don't have a septic system, but I do have old, troublesome pipes (hence purchasing my own snake and rarely using my garbage disposal).

It's a bit on the odd side, but I have found that micro fiber towels work really well. I use Dawn Dish Soap which is the bomb when it comes to breaking down grease, but when it came to my soaping equipment, I would have to use threes times as much and wash twice. I then picked up some liquid 'orange degreaser' from the Dollar Store which helped...spray, let sit, then wash twice. I tried wiping out with paper towels and leaving them in a tube in the garage for a day or two; that worked in the sense that I'm just washing soap, but getting dried soap out of your Stick Blender bell is a real PITA and I didn't like the added expense of all those paper towels, even if I could recycle them.

Then one day I grabbled one of my microfiber towels that I dust with and wow what a difference. It sucked up all the oils and mica Septic Maintenance service(no streaks) leaving only a light film of oil that could be easily hand washed like regular dishes or tossed in the dishwasher. And cleaning up the towels...the micro fiber seems to break down the oils as I can just rinse in a sink of regular soapy water and reuse.
I’m looking at a park that has 18 tenant owned homes and is on well water and 2 septic tanks. Obviously I would prefer to avoid the septic tanks, but everything else looks good about the deal. Few questions:

• Does anyone have a BALLPARK estimate on what it would cost to replace a septic tank? I know that is a very broad question, but I’m just trying to get a feel for whether it would be $10,000, $20,000, $50,000, or higher. Any thoughts on the minimum cost?
  • Can most septic tank risk be mitigated through a proper maintenance program?
  • When comparing septic tanks to well water, which do people consider the bigger risk?
Again, I know these are broad questions, just trying to get a feel for the price, so we can factor that in to our offer.

Thanks!

I’m looking at a park that has 18 tenant owned homes and is on well water and 2 septic tanks. Obviously I would prefer to avoid the septic tanks, but everything else looks good about the deal. Few questions:

• Does anyone have a BALLPARK estimate on what it would cost to replace a septic tank? I know that is a very broad question, but I’m just trying to get a feel for whether it would be $10,000, $20,000, $50,000, or higher. Any thoughts on the minimum cost?
  • Can most septic tank risk be mitigated through a proper maintenance program?
  • When comparing septic tanks to well water, which do people consider the bigger risk?
Again, I know these are broad questions, just trying to get a feel for the price, so we can factor that in to our offer.

Thanks!
I think you will need someone from the UK that can help you with a ballpark figure on the septic tank. Best option, google for a septic tank business where you live and see their prices, it would obviously depend on size and that's what they'd ask you - how many people in the house etc. to quote you.
No good getting a ballpark figure from someone in the US or Oz, as all will be different.

Thank you so much.. I will be printing this out. I find it very helpful. Have a great weekend. 💗

Thank you, I'm pretty much new to soap making,now I will have a well and septic tank.. I'm a city girl, gone country.. lol

Thank you for your response.. I believe my septic is original from 1977. So I want to be very careful in what I do.

I will be investing in Micro fiber towels... Then you just throw the towels in the wash. Seems very economical as well. thank you..
If you are wiping grease off onto microfiber towels & then washing them to remove the grease, it's going the same place it would go from your kitchen sink. Into your septic system.

I have a very small septic tank & am interested in this discussion, because I hadn't considered it.

I use homemade 100% coconut oil 0%SF dish soap and it obliterates grease. I don't think it's a problem to the tank. Fortunately, I only soap once a month or so.

p.s. Microfiber cloths are a horrible product & very damaging to the environment & living things.

I use homemade 100% coconut oil 0%SF dish soap and it obliterates grease. I don't think it's a problem to the tank. Fortunately, I only soap once a month or so.
I use my liquid coconut dish soap as well. Absolutely love it. I know lot of people on this forum say that it doesn't clean well. the signets are better. But I am looking for any chance to make a soap and will not rub myself of the opportunity to make more of it. In fact, I catch myself on maybe using more liquid soap that I need so I can make another batch sooner. It is much harder to overuse bar soap. 🤣

I don't have a septic system, but I do have old, troublesome pipes (hence purchasing my own snake and rarely using my garbage disposal).

It's a bit on the odd side, but I have found that micro fiber towels work really well. I use Dawn Dish Soap which is the bomb when it comes to breaking down grease, but when it came to my soaping equipment, I would have to use threes times as much and wash twice. I then picked up some liquid 'orange degreaser' from the Dollar Store which helped...spray, let sit, then wash twice. I tried wiping out with paper towels and leaving them in a tube in the garage for a day or two; that worked in the sense that I'm just washing soap, but getting dried soap out of your Stick Blender bell is a real PITA and I didn't like the added expense of all those paper towels, even if I could recycle them.

Then one day I grabbled one of my microfiber towels that I dust with and wow what a difference. It sucked up all the oils and mica (no streaks) leaving only a light film of oil that could be easily hand washed like regular dishes or tossed in the dishwasher. And cleaning up the towels...the micro fiber seems to break down the oils as I can just rinse in a sink of regular soapy water and reuse.
I am glad that I read down to your post...that is what I have been doing all along with the exception of throwing the towels into a tub of warm water dawn and vinegar.

This thread was making me panic.

Back