quick question on selling edibles??!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IanT

Freemason, Maker, Father, Mover & Shaker
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok lets say I wanted to jar up some of my famous marinara sauce and sell it... what kind of regulations would i need to follow...anyone ever attempted something like this and has a second to school a newbie would be much appreciated! :)

thanks!

Start with your county, they are going to have a laundry list of regulations on selling home-prepared food products. It usually starts with an inspected, if not separate, kitchen.

You could make the items in someone elses kitchen that is already certified & has regular inspections. Do you know anyone who has a catering biz out of their home? A restraunt in town you can trade massages for a few hours of kitchen time?

I've been making jam and jellies for several years now, selling them at the farmer's market and no one has said a thing about regs to me. The only comment that I heard was from a lady that would make fried pies and sell them with her produce and they told her she couldn't do it without the above stated inspections and such.

I have a friend who sells edibles. He has to have a different type of insurance then I do for my soaps, and his is much more expensive.

The Farmer's Market that I will be selling at wants me to sell my preserves and by having a membership to the association their insurance will cover me. They come in and inspect my kitchen, then when they have the next food safe course I will be automatically enrolled. Of course it's the only place I plan on selling edibles.

I think each province/state has their own regulations. Sometimes if you belong to an agricultural association (farmer's market) they will have things available to assist you just like mine does.

Cheers
Lindy

Back