Quick question on avoiding gel in a loaf mold!

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I just finished a soap that has matcha tea and parsley as additives. I would like to avoid gel so that I have the best chance of retaining the green colors. It’s a slow to trace recipe of 42% OO, 25% CO, 15% PO and the rest as soft oils. I added 1 tsp SL ppo and worked between 95 and 100 F, my lye concentration is 33% and my calculated SF was 2%, plus a little OO that went in with the dispersed additives. It’s a 2 lb recipe in a small loaf mold 2.75” wide x 3” tall x 10” long. I want to avoid gel.

I just put the soap in the refrigerator about 15 minutes ago. I have successfully avoided gel in cavity molds and a slab mold this way, but can I avoid gel in a loaf mold this way? Should I put it in the freezer? Thanks!

From my experience, cavity molds don't gel; a slab mold in the fridge works well for preventing gel. Not sure about a loaf mold. Somewhere in between, I 'spect. It also helps to cross fingers and shake your booty at the soaping gods. :D

That being said, you may remember that gelled soap intensifies the color whereas ungelled does not. ;)

From my experience, a slab mold in the fridge works well for preventing gel. It also helps to cross fingers and do a little jig for the soaping gods. :D

That being said, you may remember that gelled soap intensifies the color whereas ungelled does not. ;)

I’m worried about the heat being more concentrated because this is a loaf mold (less surface area to volume of soap) and because it’s a silicone liner, rather than the parchment paper I use in the slab mold. I’m fine with the trade off of intensity of color for longevity of color for this particular soap. I made a hemp and matcha tea soap last weekend in the loaf mold and it went totally brown. It’s the same tea that has given me a lovely bright tea green in individual molds.

I put the loaf in the freezer after finding this post. Another thing they’re discussing in that thread is using 40% lye concentration to help with avoiding gel. If you are a non-geller, I would love to know if you’re using 40% lye and if it helps when working with small loaf molds. Or, if you have any other tips to share I would be most appreciative.

Last edited by a moderator:
I non gel, that's all I do. Mine goes in the frig , (no need for the freezer) overnight, then comes out the following day. I use the default on soapcalc for lye, I don't change anything. I don't agree with the intensity of the colour changing with non gel, my soap comes out very vibrant, no issues there. I usually only use a loaf mould, mine is wood, I haven't used silicon, that might hold the heat longer ( just guessing, I haven't a clue). Anyway that's what I do.
Here's a link to one of my soaps for colour purposes. Scroll down

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/surprise-cut-pics-added.72284/

When I did not gel I would put my 6lb loaf mold (HDPE) in the freezer for 2-3 hrs then transferred to the fridge. That was when I was making a lot less soap than I do now. I do agree with Relle that I do not find that gelling creates more vibrant colors. I always felt I got truer color with non-gelling, but I can unmold my gelled soaps within a few hrs.

I non gel, that's all I do. Mine goes in the frig , (no need for the freezer) overnight, then comes out the following day. I use the default on soapcalc for lye, I don't change anything. I don't agree with the intensity of the colour changing with non gel, my soap comes out very vibrant, no issues there. I usually only use a loaf mould, mine is wood, I haven't used silicon, that might hold the heat longer ( just guessing, I haven't a clue). Anyway that's what I do.
Here's a link to one of my soaps for colour purposes. Scroll down

https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/surprise-cut-pics-added.72284/
Yes, on jellyfish! Thank you for the tips Relle!

When I did not gel I would put my 6lb loaf mold (HDPE) in the freezer for 2-3 hrs then transferred to the fridge. That was when I was making a lot less soap than I do now. I do agree with Relle that I do not find that gelling creates more vibrant colors. I always felt I got truer color with non-gelling, but I can unmold my gelled soaps within a few hrs.

Thanks Cmzaha! I am going to take my soap out of the freezer now :).

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back