Quick question-how difficult is it to get KOH these days?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Johnez

What if I....
Supporting Member
Reaction score
WSP has KOH back in stock right now and I'm debating on whether to get 2 lbs or 8 lbs. I'm not a seller so it's not a business necessity. The amount I'll need to make a batch of shave soap is tiny (~3 oz) and I'd hate to be stuck waiting when I run out, however 8 lbs seems kinda overboard for my current batches. I'm asking because I've noticed a few sellers have been out if stock lately and am wondering if this is an issue worth considering.

WSP has KOH back in stock right now and I'm debating on whether to get 2 lbs or 8 lbs. I'm not a seller so it's not a business necessity. The amount I'll need to make a batch of shave soap is tiny (~3 oz) and I'd hate to be stuck waiting when I run out, however 8 lbs seems kinda overboard for my current batches. I'm asking because I've noticed a few sellers have been out if stock lately and am wondering if this is an issue worth considering.

I got KOH from Duda Diesel. They always have it in stock.

I got KOH from Duda Diesel. They always have it in stock.

Thank you. I totally forgot about them and the lye guy!
Not trying to enable, but you can also use KOH to make liquid soap, and to make a dual-lye CP soap with great bubbles. ;)

I can only use shaving soap so fast hmmm.....

is 10% KOH enough to use without making the soap too soft Ali?
I’ve only used 2% so I’m not sure how high you can go. Maybe @cmzaha can give input since she’s the one who taught me about doing this. Carolyn, what’s the max KOH you’ve tried? I’m guessing it is recipe dependent?

is 10% KOH enough to use without making the soap too soft Ali?
I’ve only used 2% so I’m not sure how high you can go. Maybe @cmzaha can give input since she’s the one who taught me about doing this. Carolyn, what’s the max KOH you’ve tried? I’m guessing it is recipe dependent?

@DeeAnna did some testing and has some experience with optimal levels for dual lye soaps. I can't find the thread in which she reported her findings, but I believe her conclusion was that over 10% KOH in a dual lye soap, the soap was too soft. Or rather, if using more than 10% KOH, the resulting bar gets softer with higher percentages.

Latest posts

Back