QUICK - How to incorporate Peru Balsam

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MellowYellow

Reaction score
I just got my Peru Balsam in the mail and am anxious to make some soap.
I read in a book that resins need to be dissolved in alcohol before you add them to the batch. Is that the same for Peru Balsam?
Or can I add it and it will dissolve in the batch by itself (it seems to have like little granular thingies in it...)

Thanks in advance!

Sounds wonderful! I've never heard of Peru Balsam, please tell me more!

If working with it is anything like Amber resin you would crush it up and melt it with some of your oil and mix it in before you add the lye. I don't know if all resins work in the same way.

LOL. I didn't know that! I bought it because I read it makes a good base note and has a vanilla aroma (and I couldn't afford real vanilla).

Hm. I am not sure how to market that one now! :oops:

Peru Balsam

I have some Peru Balsam as well. I haven't tried making soap with it because of it's super-thick consistency. I've thought about trying to mix it with a light carrier oil but I don't think that will work. I'll see if I can find any helpful suggestions from Google.

I melted it with some olive oil and it seemed to dissolve fine in there! Then I added that at trace.
I'll report back when I cut the bars ;)

Latest posts

Back