QUICK! Anyone on right now?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CandiceW

Reaction score
Hey all,

So I'm heating rebatch in oven right now.. it has been in there like 2 hours and still is not liquid, is very firm . I already added 2 cup water for the soak part.. and then added about another 1/2 cup now.. I have oven @ 245 now becuase 200 did nothing.. need help quick PLEASE!!!

I usually rebatch (which I hate) in the microwave or on the stovetop... I think you've added way too much water.

Is there a reason why you're rebatching?

Caveat: I hate rebatching and am bad at it. I am so bad at it that I'd rather throw perfectly good soap away than do it.

This said...

If I'm rebatching fresh soap I do not add any water, and if it's cured soap I'd add up to a quarter of a cup for a 2# batch.

Tell us what you started with, why you are rebatching, and how you are rebatching. (do you have the lid on in the oven?)

sorry already molded it..
I rebatch becuase I # don't have time to do from scratch(8 month old baby to take care of) and # 2 can't do the lye in home becuase I have parrots.
I went by recipe on Brambleberry site(for rebatch) 1 cup of liquid per # in oven. I think it will turn out fine, just not thin like it says, says it will be liquid.
I used Goats Milk rebatch.. I could not find goats milk here so used water. Did not want to use regular old supermarket milk becuase I did not want it to sour(had to sit over night in oven(off!))
Anyhow will let you know how it turned out tomorrow!

Thanks!!!
edit:
Opps forgot, yes I have foil over in oven. To tell you the truth, it turned out EXACTLY as it did when I cooked in bags(of boiling water) on stove top and that turned out just fine.

I had dh do a perfect paper liner on the mold so it should turn out better then last time I made(had lots of krinkles and bumps before from my paper not smooth :lol: )

this is what it looked like right now..
8919_286810740430_650170430_9095401_5089535_n.jpg

I wanted the top 'chunky' like that

well it still looked exactly like picture, it has not dried at all really!
So fustrated.
Recipe said to add that much liquid.
Now not sure what to do next..leave in mold really long time? freeze??
It did say on the site to put in freezer(but I gues they use different kind of mold.. should I do that?

Thanks to Pam S. for sending in this wonderful tip on making Rebatch Soap:

'I just read your rebatch technique, and we use one that results in a much nicer finished product:

Take a pound of shredded rebatch soap, put in an oven safe bowl, non aluminum, pour a cup of liquid over it, we use goat milk, stir it up good and let stand covered over night.

Next day stir again, cover with foil and put in oven at 200 degrees for about 90 minutes, it will be nicely liquid.

Blend in your fragrance, color, botanicals, and pour in molds, let stand 24 hours, then freeze, they will pop right out of the molds, then let dry for a few days to a couple of weeks and they will be as hard as the original cold process soap, works great!'

http://www.brambleberry.com/Rebatching- ... s-W25.aspx

when i rebactch, i hate it also, i only add 1 -2 tbls of water, i melt in crock, then add a little oil when its melted and mold. good luck, if you added 2 cups of water it isnt going to get hard, ever!

why do they post on there sight then?? im kind of pissed now...i went by the directions.. if it does not work why is it there??

candice, i just read the rebatch diections, where does it say 2 cups of liquid? it says 2 tablespoons- 1/8 of a cup. I would toss it, i will give you some recipes.

CandiceW said:
Thanks to Pam S. for sending in this wonderful tip on making Rebatch Soap:

'I just read your rebatch technique, and we use one that results in a much nicer finished product:

Take a pound of shredded rebatch soap, put in an oven safe bowl, non aluminum, pour a cup of liquid over it, we use goat milk, stir it up good and let stand covered over night.

Next day stir again, cover with foil and put in oven at 200 degrees for about 90 minutes, it will be nicely liquid.

Blend in your fragrance, color, botanicals, and pour in molds, let stand 24 hours, then freeze, they will pop right out of the molds, then let dry for a few days to a couple of weeks and they will be as hard as the original cold process soap, works great!'

http://www.brambleberry.com/Rebatching- ... s-W25.aspx

it says cup.. I did 2lbs so did 2 cups.

I see it, down near the bottom. It's not Brambleberry that does it, apparently that one was submitted. It also says this:

"Next day stir again, cover with foil and put in oven at 200 degrees for about 90 minutes, it will be nicely liquid."

Did you do this step? Sorry if I missed where you did. It looks like they are trying to evaporate off some of the excess water. Hope it turns out alright though.

Back