Quick and easy HP soap.

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't really see much difference between tallow and palm except tallow lathers a bit easier/better.
Lard is the fat that makes a big difference in soap. I've not been able to duplicate it with all veggie soap but I do have a recipe that is close. I'll post it later when I can get on my laptop.

I remember seeing a post about a mix that would have the same fatty acid profile as an animal fat. But as always, the unsaponifiables will play some part. To what extent someone might notice the difference between them might well be very low

IrishLass has written that
Lard = 55% Palm, 30% Shea Butter, 15% Olive

based on the fatty acid profile the three oils give.

An experiment will prove if this quotation is almost true.

More than one person has posted all vegetable soaps that they thought were good. And all from people I trust. I don't choose to make all vegetable soaps, as I have yet to buy one that I thought was better than a soap that contains lard.

Last edited:
This is a pretty decent all veggie soap that somewhat mimics my regular lard based soap. Its pretty cleansing but isn't drying, probably due to the high SF and shea. I've not tried it with coconut yet, I really should since I don't use palm kernel anymore.

http://www.evernote.com/l/ANi-l2O_sJJGyp1QtLYtbNIonsjP049I5FQ/
Thanks for this. I will try it. I also have half a cup of avocado puree I can sub in water to add to this. And I also want to try and add silk.

How does the lard effect the soap? Does it smell? Is it to soft? Bubbly enough?
Thanks, Gibby

QUOTE=Obsidian;615631]Are you against using lard?igh olive oil soaps make my skin tight and dry. Using at least 50% lard really changes the way the soap feels. My favorite recipe is

lard 50%
olive or similar oil 30%
coconut 15%
castor 5%

I generally use 5% SF but I have went up to 8% with no trouble.

You can't make a bar that is a soap/lotion hybrid. Too much SF will make a oily soap that doesn't lather.[/QUOTE]

It makes it FREAKIN AWESOME! [emoji106]

All joking aside, some people with very sensitive sniffers can detect it, but most people can't, especially when the lard is not heated more than it needs.

It makes a hard bar and the recipe that obsidian posted would give a lovely soap with good creamy bubbles - well worth a try

Lard makes soap harder, last longer and give it a creamy lather. Pure lard soap is very gentle, much better then castile imho. I can only smell the lard if I heat it too much when melting, it needs to be just warm enough that the oils are clear.

I'd give the high shea recipe a good 8-12 week cure. I know most people cure high OO soap longer but I don't notice much difference. I've found my 8 week old castile is about the same as my 12 month old castile.

Where can I find lard?

My apologies as this is a bit off topic. I have been searching posts to find out where to buy lard and see that it is available at WalMart. WalMart is a big store, what section should it be in? With the oils, refrigerated, etc?
I made a novice error this weekend. I went to a local butcher shop and asked for lard at the meat counter. They handed me 5 pounds of un-rendered lard. :confused: I took it home and put it in a crock pot outside to render it. More than 24 hours later I had a couple pounds of usable lard and a whole bunch of "other stuff" left over. I really don't want to repeat that process unless it is from an animal that we raise and butcher- and then only because I don't want to be wasteful.
This forum is an awesome resource. I am very happy I found you all!

Every Walmart, at least in my neck of the woods, puts lard in the cooking oils display in the baking goods aisle -- where you find flour, sugar, etc. I usually find it on the bottom shelf.

In some grocery stores, lard will either be with the cooking oils or it might be kept in the meat section in or near the refrigerated meat cases.

I usually expect about 70% to 75% yield when I render -- 7 to 7.5 lb lard from 10 lb of hog fat. The cracklins get fed to my dogs, so nothing goes to waste.

Last edited:
My apologies as this is a bit off topic. I have been searching posts to find out where to buy lard and see that it is available at WalMart. WalMart is a big store, what section should it be in? With the oils, refrigerated, etc?
I made a novice error this weekend. I went to a local butcher shop and asked for lard at the meat counter. They handed me 5 pounds of un-rendered lard. :confused: I took it home and put it in a crock pot outside to render it. More than 24 hours later I had a couple pounds of usable lard and a whole bunch of "other stuff" left over. I really don't want to repeat that process unless it is from an animal that we raise and butcher- and then only because I don't want to be wasteful.
This forum is an awesome resource. I am very happy I found you all!

It's in the shortening/oil aisle. It generally Armour lard in a green/white bucket.

[Hi I would like to try this recipee for HP. would it be the same?

QUOTE=Obsidian;615631]Are you against using lard? High olive oil soaps make my skin tight and dry. Using at least 50% lard really changes the way the soap feels. My favorite recipe is

lard 50%
olive or similar oil 30%
coconut 15%
castor 5%

I generally use 5% SF but I have went up to 8% with no trouble.

You can't make a bar that is a soap/lotion hybrid. Too much SF will make a oily soap that doesn't lather.[/QUOTE]

[Hi I would like to try this recipee for HP. would it be the same?

The recipe would be the same. You just cook it until it gels. Why are you wanting to make HP? If it is because you think it is usable faster, that is not true. The length of cure is the same, no matter what those ladies on YouTube say.

Latest posts

Back