HP Questions - small batch OPHP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've successfully made CPOP-after-HP soap! The hanger swirl wasn't the prettiest ever, but it did work, and has hardly any of the infamous “rustic” look to it. Leaving the plopped soap in the hot oven for some time (letting it re-heat to a more fluid state) really helps to correct that “candle wax spill” look.

Pics in due time… (waiting for a sunny day) …and likely in another thread, to not further drift off-topic here. (Putting the soap into the oven after saponification isn't what OPHP is all about, IIRC.)

Oooh a HPOP thread! 😁 I suddenly realize how long it's been since I've made soap this way and now I feel like an old lady saying (imagine croaking voice) 'you know, back in my day we did like this...' but anyway, here's my 2 cents.

When I did ophp I made sure it went super slow (20min). I had an oven thermometer that I kept around 75C (sometimes boosting it to 100C for a minute in the beginning to get things going) by opening and closing the oven door, because 75C wasn't an option on my oven🥴.
I think I kept everything covered with plastic wrap (sorry nature!) to avoid loss of moisture and waited until all was gelled. Gel doesn't necessarily mean saponification, but it does mean fluid batter. I normally used soy yogurt for fluidity, but I think j I've used sour cream once too in a pinch.
The most fluid batter I have ever had was with 25% lye concentration and alcohol extractions added after cook, but that was warp city. I think a fluid batter that doesn't warp is the holy grail of hp soap 😉

Have fun!

Edit: ps. I used to love glass bowls for hpop, because they allow to see the progress of gell phase very accurately, but stopped using them out of fear they might crack.
Pps. I often preferred lower, wider bowls because I didn't have to open my oven all the way to see how the soap was doing, which kept the temp more constant.
Ppps. I've had the odd volcano, but as long as you keep yourself out of harms way, the worst thing that happens is your oven gets cleaned.. 😉 So don't go in trying to safe your soap if it's splattering all over the place, just shut off the oven and clean up later.

Last edited:
Thanks @szaza! I haven’t been back to the ophp due to other obligations, but I’m thinking about it again. I think my main issue so far is being too stingy with the liquids. I should probably get the hang of the technique first and worry about the water later. 😉

The eo scent retention in the soaps I made last month is not especially impressive, or maybe my nose is too scent blind to be a fair judge.

I splurged on a couple of thick bottom ss pots, including one that I hope is right sized to make a 500 g batch of hp in the oven or on the stove, but without overflow if/when it volcanos.

Hi, I don't actually know what oven HP is BUT about the standing around. I cover with a see through lid (can use plastic wrap), do not stir, do not open, do not pass go (just kidding, monopoly memories coming back) and when the batch has finished cooking then the entire soap will show gel. Takes about an hour and nothing rises, no bubbles, just science doing its work from the outside to inside, the soap changes color to gel. Absolutely no stiring and no ph testing needed because the gel phase has shown complete process visibly. Personally I was excited to find this method. Hope it helps you too.

Interesting. I tried this (see the thread here) and got a couple of fails. Perhaps I should have just left the stuff, but I kept fiddling, so resorted to stove-top hot process.

What were your oil/lye temps before mixing?

Back