Questions regarding my recipe quality

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Victor Alvarenga

Reaction score
Hello, I'm Victor from Brazil. I'm planing to start a soap making business here. I've been following this forum and some other websites to learn more about this craft. But now I have some questions that I would be very grateful if someone could helped me.

To improve my workflow and "production line" I'm trying to create a melt and pour base to use for my soaps, but I'm not sure if I have a good quality recipe for it.

Babassu Oil - 480g ( 16.9 oz) - 48%
Canola Oil - 100g (3.5 oz) - 10%
Macadamia Nut Oil - 100g (3.5oz) - 10%
Olive Oil - 320g (11.3 oz) - 32%

Super Fat - 7%

Glycerin - 170g (6 oz)
Propylene Glycol - 500g (17.6 oz)

Hardness- 48
Cleansing- 34
Conditioning- 46
Bubbly- 34
Creamy- 15
Iodine- 53
INS- 162

Lauric- 24
Myristic- 10
Palmitic- 11
Stearic- 4
Ricinoleic- 0
Oleic- 39
Linoleic- 6
Linolenic- 1

- I'm using Babassu Oil instead of Coconut Oil because it is cheaper here in Brazil and they are very similar.
- I'm using Canola Oil to reduce the cost a little bit, but maybe I will increase my Macadamia and Olive Oil by 5% and don't use Canola.
- I increased my Super Fat to 7% to reduce the dryness for the skin

- I don't know if I need to worry or not about the conditioning and cleansing for this recipe since I will be adding a fairly amount of Propylene Glycol and Glycerin to make it meltable.

- Other thing I'm worried is that I'm using only 48% of Hard Oils.

- Should I worry that my recipe go beyond the recommended maximum of 30% for Lauric+Myristic and Falls Behind for Palmitic+Stearic minimum of 20%?

- As I demonstrated before, I have a lot of questions. I thank so much for your time if you read everything. I will be very grateful if you can help me.

Latest posts

Back