Questions, Questions...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CiCi

Reaction score
I've been gathering my supplies, slowly but surely. I am getting ready to purchase some oils and have a little confusion.

1. I recently read where Pomace Olive Oil is better for soaping than pure olive oil. Is this true? I know it is about $10 less per gallon. What is the difference in the soap.

2. There is solid Crisco and liquid Crisco. Is there a difference? If so, which would be the better one to purchase? I'm using the cheap stuff for practice.

3. Why are some liquids called pounds instead of ounces?

4. Can you use a sturdy plastic container with lye. I've bought stainless steel bowls, slotted spoon, whisk, glass measuring cups, etc...but I have read where some use plastic. It confused me.

Ummmmm

5. Which scale do you think is better quality? I don't want to get one and then have it go whacky shortly thereafter.

6. I know there is a SoapCalc program out there. Is it pretty good? Will it save me time and hair pulling? Someone else on this forum has some type of program I wanted to look into. Paul, I think you listed it. Any referrals along this line are welcome.

I know I have more questions, but I can't think of them just yet. I'm home on my lunch break and going back to work, now, so I will check for answers, later. I hope there's lots :D Thanks all.

CiCi

CiCi said:
1. I recently read where Pomace Olive Oil is better for soaping than pure olive oil. Is this true? I know it is about $10 less per gallon. What is the difference in the soap. CiCi

Different grades of Olive oil usually refer to cooking. Pomace will give you all the same benefits as EVOO in the final product of soap - but you may not want to eat it. It's also light in color. You want to make sure that your Pomace is pure OO though as some marked Pomace also contain other oils and ingredients. Pomace Oil is extracted from the Olive using solvents rather than more natural methods which is why it is cheaper. Many soapers use it and swear by it. Some hate it. Nearly all say it traces fast - but I love that because Olive can take forever. It's basically a personal preference - try it and see if it works for you.

CiCi said:
2. There is solid Crisco and liquid Crisco. Is there a difference? If so, which would be the better one to purchase? I'm using the cheap stuff for practice. CiCi

Hydrogenated Soybean and Cottonseed blend = Crisco in a solid form and will help make your soaps harder.

CiCi said:
3. Why are some liquids called pounds instead of ounces? CiCi

16oz = 1lb. Just the lingo I guess.

CiCi said:
4. Can you use a sturdy plastic container with lye. I've bought stainless steel bowls, slotted spoon, whisk, glass measuring cups, etc...but I have read where some use plastic. It confused me. CiCi

Yes - you can use heavy duty plastic pitchers etc. The metal equation comes in when you are melting oils on the stove. Lye reacts badly to aluminum so you need stainless steel pots. If you're melting oils in the microwave - it is not an issue really but you want heavy duty plastic to mix the lye in.

CiCi said:
6. I know there is a SoapCalc program out there. Is it pretty good? Will it save me time and hair pulling? Someone else on this forum has some type of program I wanted to look into. Paul, I think you listed it. Any referrals along this line are welcome. CiCi

You can do a Google/Yahoo search to find others as there are many. I use soapcalc.com as do many others. And it won't stop you from going bald. Trial and error and research is necessary.

HTH!

Marr, thank you so much for taking the time to answer this newbie's questions. I certainly appreciate your help. I'm going oil shopping tomorrow. I can't seem to find lye anywhere...not 100%. Guess I'll have to order it. I have all of my stainless steel stuff. Need to get my scale, calc program and lye and I'll be ready to go. Thanks again for your efforts.

Latest posts

Back