Questions about this recipe

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SuperPhat

Reaction score
Hi there everyone, this is my first time posting and I'm hoping someone can help me :?

A little history. I started soaping 6 years ago but stopped when my kids got to the age of getting into everything. I've picked it back up again and tried to run my favorite recipe through SoapCalc9. I'm hoping to tweak it a bit, but was confused by the results.

Here is the original recipe:
48 oz. Crisco
19 oz. Olive or Vegetable oil
20 oz. Coconut or oil
28 oz. water
12 oz. lye

This made a nice bar of soap, but it didn't have enough bubbles so I'd like to add a few oz. of castor oil. I ran the original recipe through the calculator and it came up with 34 oz. of water needed, but still the 12 oz. of lye. When I ran 4 oz. of castor oil through it hardly changed the lye or water at all. Neither went up even an ounce.

So now I'm confused...I like how my original recipe turned out with the 28 oz. water and I really want to add the castor to see what happens. What do I do about the water and lye though? I'm pretty clueless at this point.

Anybody have any suggestions for me?

TIA!
Heidi

When I ran the numbers my lye went up from 12.169 wo/ castor to 12.657 with. That is about 1/2 an ounce of lye which sounds about right to me when adding 4 oz's to an 87 oz recipe.

So what do I do about the water? Raise it a half ounce from the 28 of the original recipe or 34 from the soapcalc?

Run your numbers with the castor through the soap calc to get your lye and water amounts for the size recipe you want. If you want more bubbles, you can also add, pko or babassu.

Back