Questions about soy wax

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I got a 7 lb tub of tallow from Essential Depot, and it's gorgeous. Bright white, no odor. AND
it was under $27.
This is the problem I have with Essential Depot. Their prices look great until you add in the shipping...

ED
Beef Tallow, 7 lb = $27
Standard Shipping - 1 to 7 days $23.50
TOTAL $50.50

For me, Soapers Choice always has the best prices plus shipping.
Spread shipping cost across 4 products at a time and the $17 cost only goes up a dollar or two. :thumbs: It's a good thing: ;)

SOAPERS CHOICE
Beef Tallow, 7 lb = $11.55
Standard Shipping - 1 to 7 days $17.16
TOTAL 28.71

This is the problem I have with Essential Depot. Their prices look great until you add in the shipping...

ED
Beef Tallow, 7 lb = $27
Standard Shipping - 1 to 7 days $23.50
TOTAL $50.50

For me, Soapers Choice always has the best prices plus shipping.
Spread shipping cost across 4 products at a time and the $17 cost only goes up a dollar or two. :thumbs: It's a good thing: ;)

SOAPERS CHOICE
Beef Tallow, 7 lb = $11.55
Standard Shipping - 1 to 7 days $17.16
TOTAL 28.71

Maybe I was lucky, but when I got the tallow, I got free shipping. So it was $26.93 total. If I had that shipping charge, I wouldn't have gotten it. I balk at $14 for shipping, let alone almost twice that.

I thought about tallow but it seems expensive and I hate rendering it myself.
I was using great value shortening for awhile but our local walmart stopped carring the tallow.
I should just order a few tubs online
That has become an issue. I used to buy it in 50lb blocks for $38 at Smart & Final I noticed it is now almost $70 and I will not need as much if I ever get back to making soap. I will let you know when I get moved and settled, I will want a small freezer in my reptile room so I might just buy a block break it up and freeze it. If so we can share via UPS. :D

I would never ever give up lard. I use it in almost every batch. I also use 5% soy. If I were you, I'd look closer at why you're getting DOS. Is it in contact with metal during the cure or something like that?

I didn't want to start a new thread, so we'll see how this goes: I have been reading a lot on the forum about what soy wax to use in skin care products and most folks go with 415 and pointed out several points in its favor, so I googled soy waxes and find that 415 is pure with no additives. So I'm thinking that as long as the soy wax that I use is pure, with no additives, any soy wax that meets that criteria is acceptable. Is this logical thinking or am I missing something? I have a soy wax labeled G1, which says it is pure with no additives so I'm hoping I can use it in soap or lotion bars? Thoughts?

I didn't want to start a new thread, so we'll see how this goes: I have been reading a lot on the forum about what soy wax to use in skin care products and most folks go with 415 and pointed out several points in its favor, so I googled soy waxes and find that 415 is pure with no additives. So I'm thinking that as long as the soy wax that I use is pure, with no additives, any soy wax that meets that criteria is acceptable. Is this logical thinking or am I missing something? I have a soy wax labeled G1, which says it is pure with no additives so I'm hoping I can use it in soap or lotion bars? Thoughts?
I would think so Christa. The only difference I have found is that some have a higher melting point which can make working with it a little more difficult - but that's only by comparison with my usual 415. If you have nothing to compare it wiht then it probably won't make any discernible difference.

I would think so Christa. The only difference I have found is that some have a higher melting point which can make working with it a little more difficult - but that's only by comparison with my usual 415. If you have nothing to compare it wiht then it probably won't make any discernible difference.
Thanks KiwiMoose. So a lower melt temp would be probably better than a higher one do you think? I bought some to make candles with, but then I've been reading about everyone who likes to use it in bar soap, so I thought I'd give it a try.

Thanks KiwiMoose. So a lower melt temp would be probably better than a higher one do you think? I bought some to make candles with, but then I've been reading about everyone who likes to use it in bar soap, so I thought I'd give it a try.
Yes, if you have a choice I would go for the one with the lowest melting point.

I sometimes use soy wax at 10% in soap to help retain scent & color. Nice. As a sub for lard, personally I would use palm, shea butter, or tallow to achieve similar results to lard. :thumbs: ;)

SOY WAX IN SOAP

I also use soy wax (125°F Melt Point) to make lip balms and my Achy Breaky Balm for pain because it applies easily without melting during hot weather and has a smooth soothing texture good for lips.

I buy Midwest Container Soy Wax Beads from American Soy Organics. Originally, they offered 3 lb sample bags which is ideal for use in soap and balms. Now, the smallest size is 5 lbs, although you may be able to find it on sale on Amazon.
Hi Zany, I know this post was a few years ago but I’m just wondering if you use other waxes in your lip balms too as at minute I’m experimenting with rice bran wax and sunflower wax (attempting to find a vegan version which feels as nice as beeswax) but also including stearic acid and in some, cocoa butter, but with the recent increase in cocoa butter prices it’s become very hard to get hold of and I’d prefer to formulate without it. Since beginning to use soy wax in my soaps I have been trying to get some info on using it in a lip balm as a hardener too…and came across your post!!

Does it act like a wax or more like a butter In lip balms?

Any advice gratefully received 😊

Does it act like a wax or more like a butter In lip balms?
The soy wax I have (GW 415) behaves a bit like both. It has a relatively high melting point (125 F) which helps with the structure of a lip balm. On the other hand, it's a fat, not a true wax, which means it is emollient when it melts on the skin.

I recommend this post at Humblebee & Me: https://www.humblebeeandme.com/a-quick-guide-to-soy-wax-liquid-oil-ratios/
and possibly also this one: https://www.humblebeeandme.com/faqs/different-wax/

The soy wax I have (GW 415) behaves a bit like both. It has a relatively high melting point (125 F) which helps with the structure of a lip balm. On the other hand, it's a fat, not a true wax, which means it is emollient when it melts on the skin.

I recommend this post at Humblebee & Me: https://www.humblebeeandme.com/a-quick-guide-to-soy-wax-liquid-oil-ratios/
and possibly also this one: https://www.humblebeeandme.com/faqs/different-wax/
Thank you for the links and for your view on how it behaves in the lip balm. I’m going to give it a go, combined with some other of my waxes and see how it feels….

Back