Questions about Shea Butter

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NameThatCandy

Reaction score
Hi there,

I want to add shea butter to the soap, can I melt it with all the other solid oil? I remember I read a book that recommend to add the shea butter at trace, can I add it with the other oil?

Thanks

I've read multiple topics on whether or not to add at trace... It seems to be as arguable as the gel phase question...

Personally, I use very high % of shea butter and I always melt it with my oils and never hold any oils out for trace. I've never had a problem...but they do say over heating your oils can cause the natural qualities of the oils to be destroyed... Guess my answer doesn't really help any! LOL but thats what I do. :)

thank you for the quick replies.

I probably will do the same like you do. Melt with the other oils and add it the same time.

Thanks

Flynn said:
Lane said:
but they do say over heating your oils can cause the natural qualities of the oils to be destroyed

(whatever isn't destroyed by the lye and the heat from gelling. . . .)

but, opinions are like a-holes--everyone's got one! :wink:

Haha, Like I said, it's like the gelling question...To gel or not to gel....

I melt my unrefined shea butter with my other oils, but when I do so, I melt about half the oils in pot (shea is always on top) and then take it off the heat so it can finish melting the oils/butter based on the heat already in it. And it does all melt.

Back