questions about handmilling?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

punkflash54

Reaction score
does anyone handmill soaps to add herbs or other ingredients? if so how does the soap turn out? i am curious about handmilling...i found a book with a ton of handmilled soap recipes...but i don't want to waste a whole batch of soap to try and handmill it

aka rebatching. lots of posts on it around. some like it, some don't.

ok, thanks...i didnt realize it meant the same as rebatching haha well that makes more sense now :)

I hate rebatching. It's gloppy and esthetically challenged. :lol: I'd rather make CP and add all the ingredients straight from the start.

I'm with soapbuddy on this, but there are some truly talented souls that do a beautiful job. They must be very special people LOL.

I hand mill soaps...but I do not sell soap, these are for my own luxury so I have the time. What I did was made my soap with a 2% SF then I grated it. I then let it sit for around 4 weeks. I then throw it in a crock pot, put some oils in to take it up to 5-8% SF, then I wait until it is melted some, then I add some water and powdered milk (around 1/2 cup water to 1/4 cup powdered milk per 2lb batch). At this point, I have to be careful because the heat of the crock pot will scorch the milk. Then when it is really melted, I use the whip part on my stick blender and beat it up thoroughly, when it is all melted together, I put the spices, mica's, FO, EO's in and pour into the mold.

Hand milling is like CP, you have to figure out what works for you. I have found this method works good for me. I use less FO, it stays longer in the soap and the skin, and the soap seems extra mild. HTH

So far so good...

I've managed to do 3 batches so far. They came out fairly well. I just shreaded the soap, about 5 cuups or so, melted it in a pot on the stove with about 1/4 cup of coconut milk and added my fo and color just before pouring into the molds. It was somewhat thick, but still pourable. The bars came out great, just waiting for them to dry out a little.

Latest posts

Back