Questions about fragrances

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jennfromoz

Reaction score
Adding fragrance to soap is soooo expensive. Apparently you need to add about 40ml to 1 litre of soap. I actually have some very good concentrated perfume oils from Kuwait at home that I sell. I was thinking of using about 10 to 20ml of this, but 40ml would be around $40. I've found some other oil fragrances which I don't wear that I will use this time. However, do you have any tips on obtaining fragrances or essential oils that won't cost a fortune to add to my soap? I'm sure I'll become obsessed like everyone else here.

You want to make sure that the fragrances you use are FOR CP or HP soap (or MP, if that is what you make). There are many fragrances suitable only for use in candles, but cannot be used in soap. Perfumes are altogether different. I would not use an expensive perfume in soap as it is not made for use in soap and there is no way of knowing if it will even survive the chemical reactions that take place in lye soap. They might survive in MP, but still, the expense of possibly wasting perfumes to experiment would put me off. Still, if you have some you will never wear and you want to give it a trial run, I would suggest a VERY SMALL batch of soap to do this trial.

Not knowing the vendors in Australia, I will leave that to the Australian soapmakers to advise, but perhaps a forum or web-browser search will bring up Soap Suppliers in Australia. I'd start there if I were in your place.

concentrated perfume oils are NOT for soap making. I am willing to bet so.
As stated above from Earlene, you need FO or EO's that are formulated for soap and TESTED to know what usage rate to use for them.
I would get your soap making skills perfected first then add scents :)

Since you are in the Land of Oz, we're not familiar with the suppliers down there. I guess a lot of things are expensive in Oz.

Try to stick with fragrance oils and you'll get more bang for the Aussie dollar that way. Most recommendations for fragrance oil are around 3% of the oils weight, not total batch weight. Use the Soapmaker's Friend Calculator associated with this forum at the top of the page.

For a 3lb batch of soap I use about 30 ml of fragrance oil.

There are many FOs that imitate or mimic expensive perfumes. I am sure there are suppliers in Oz that have something similar.

Try using kaolin clays such as rose clay or green clay, they improve the soap's lathering and give nice earth-tone color to the soap.

Soap, Bath and Body Supplies | EROMA

Back