Questions about Essential Oils?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Godiva

Reaction score
I'm researching essential oils, and finding warnings on the use of these - i.e all of these say pregnant women should not use:

Cedarwood
Clary Sage
Lavender 40/42
Peppermint
Rosemary
Sweet Orange

I see these used pretty frequently on sites that sell handmade soap, but I don't remember seeing any warnings.

Should there be? Or does the effects change when in used in soap?

I have wondered this myself. Some of the warnings are about taking them internally. Yes, EO's are powerful things, but are they the same if used in cp soaping?

I have seen that different oils are absorbed at different rates by the skin. Which components in the oils cause problems and what are the absorption rates? Are they affected by the lye? Am I overthinking this?

For a leave on product, I would definately do a warning. I suppose to cover your assets, it may be a good idea for all products. :roll:

Digit

I would certainly include a warning. They can cause early labor & that could be fatal! No one wants that on their hands.

I agree with digit and Tabitha....always best to err on the side of caution than risk trouble for some poor expectant mother....pregnancy can be hard enough as it is!

Speaking as someone who has had children and was very careful about what she ate and used while pregnant....I would never have even thought about soap as being something to worry about. I would certainly have appreciated being informed.

So I guess the next question, for those who use EO's in their soaps and sell them, or even give them as gifts, are you including a warning on your labels and websites?

Something to keep in mind is that soaps are a wash-off product. It is doubtful that enough essential oil could sink into the skin before the lather is rinsed away to cause a problem. I use a lot of EOS in soap and don't worry too much about it. As far as lotions, roll-ons etc, anything that will stay on the skin, I just plain don't use any essential oils that might pose a known problem for pregnant women, people with high blood pressure, etc. I just don't trust people to heed to warnings on labels or to not re-package something to share with a friend. So I try to make my products as safe as possible. Also for things like lotions, I tend to use the absolute minimum percentage of scenting, considering that folks will re-apply throughout the day. Not saying I think everyone should do this, it's just me!!

Latest posts

Back