Questions about Babassu Oil and Rice Bran Oil?

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NameThatCandy

Reaction score
Hi there,

I usually use both PKO and Coconut Oil. My PKO is running very low, I want to try Babassu Oil, I am wondering that can I replace PKO with Babassu oil?

And I remember I read some threads about replacing Olive with Rice Bran Oil, anyone tried RBO? How do you like it? I plan to cut down OO and use some RBO to save some $$.

Thanks

I just drove 45 miles tonight to buy a gallon of Rice Bran Oil at TSC (tractor supply). It cost $24 and change for it. But cheaper than online because of the cost of shipping.

But while I was out of town I also picked up things at wal-mart, did my grocery shopping AND took the kids out for McDonalds.......

Will let you know cause I'm going to use it tomrrow.

I just got a gallon of Babassu Oil from Columbus Foods and love it sooooo much more than PKO! I am doing 66% Coconut Oil and 33% Babassu Oil as my Cleaning Oils! I bought 6 gallons of Riceland Rice Oil for $48.00 including shipping That was $8.00 per gallon including shipping!!! It will last me for years! I use 50% light OO and 50% RBO where I used to use all OO.

Paul

Hi!

Palm Kernal and Babassu are both great replacements for Coconut. I like them better.

I sub out about 50% of my Olive oil with Rice bran now and I've not seen any difference in my soaps.

ETA - I have never subbed out 100% of my OO with RB ina a recipe as I love Olive to much. So...I'm not sure how that would effect the soap. I think Olive is supposed to be harder than RB.

Yup that is what I do, sub out 50% of the normal olive oil I would use and use RBO. I got a great deal on it at Riceland and got 6 gallons for $8.00 per gallon including shipping to me!!! Granted I'm in SW MO, Riceland is in NE ARK., but that is a great price. I love using it with my Beritoli Light OO. Good combo!

Paul

Hi Candy,

I used my RBO today and made some lotion out of it. The oils I used were rice bran oil, unrefined shea butter and mango butter. I also used aloe juice as my liquid and added glycerin as well.

And it really turned out well. Much better than what I had made before with coconut oil, mango butter and shea butter and water was my liquid in that recipe.

But it's a keeper in my books !!!!!

My hubby worked outside today in sub-zero temps and it was windy today. And when he got home tonight his face was wind-burned. And he put some on after his shower and sighed in relief. He doesn't get into my products (other than ONLY using my soaps) but he wanted his own jar of this stuff that I made today.

I made it for a friend who has MS and has been taking shots for his MS which has thickened and toughed up his skin. And he wanted to try my lotion to see if it helps soften it up a bit before his bees arrive. Because he's going to start bee venom therapy for his MS.

Don't you just love making your own lotions? I do. It was kinda like soap, getting the oils figured out and the butters right, the consistency the correct volume, it is all very intriguing! :)

Paul

I have question about RBO. I try to replace half of OO with RBO, my INS # going very low, it is lower than 145. I have tried several of my recipes.

Do you have any good recipe that use RBO?

thanks

Hi!

I think you should try your recipe regardless of what the INS says. INS values are controversial to say the least. No one really knows the INS value of each oil and I haven't read one definitive explanation as to why it's even calculated. Nor the reason Soapcalc suggests the range that it does. I've searched and searched and nothing explains it all that well. I get the feeling that the Miller site doesn't hold it in too high regard anyway so I have stopped worrying about it.

A Pure Castile bar has an INS of 109 and they rock after a good cure. The 100% high SF coconut bar that people have a love/hate relationship with has an INS of 258. Both are well out of the suggested INS range quoted on soapcalc.

In the end you should just try the recipe and see how it works for you. Keep in mind though that RBO is much softer than OO. You may want to add hard oils to the recipe to counter that.

Soapmaker Man said:
Don't you just love making your own lotions? I do. It was kinda like soap, getting the oils figured out and the butters right, the consistency the correct volume, it is all very intriguing! :)

Paul

I've read somewhere that babassu in lotions is wonderful. I want to try it as soon as my work area is expanded. Right now I am trying to keep my mad scientist in me under control. lol I know I love it in soaps. I like how quickly it absorbs into my skin when I get it on me while soaping. Do you use babassu in your lotions? What about gm?

thank you Marr,

I can get the good condition# and hardness# with RBO in the recipes, if I don't need to worry about INS#.

I am ready to go as soon as I get my order from Columbus Foods.

I can't wait.

Back