Question

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lilcat9984

Reaction score
I have been making soaps for almost two years, and am getting ready to sell them. I have a bar from my very first batch that looks as good as the day I made it
and smells the same. Am I really ready?

Only you can answer that question. You might not be ready if you are asking this question, it's hard for us to answer without knowing your background in what you have made, as this is only your 2nd post. We might have be able to help more if you have posted over the last 2 yrs with your processes as you went, so you got feedback. There are many people here to help you with your questions.:).

There is a lot to consider like -
Insurance
Depending where in the world you are - do you need to register selling your soap.
Do you need to get your soap tested. Again depending on your country.
Do you want to sell locally at markets or online.
Have you given soap away and got feedback.
Is there too many selling soap in your area.
Do you have enough time to keep and get a range of soap.
What makes your soap different from others to get sales.
Are you relying on this for income.
Have you researched who is selling in your area.
Do you have enough capital to buy supplies in bulk to save money.
Have you any business background or have had other businesses.
Keeping of books for tax purposes (again depending on your country).
Is this going to be a business or hobby business.
Are you only selling to friends and colleagues.

Here is a thread that can help you decide if it's right for you.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/are-you-ready-to-sell-your-soap.16002/

Only you can answer that question. You might not be ready if you are asking this question, it's hard for us to answer without knowing your background in what you have made, as this is only your 2nd post. We might have be able to help more if you have posted over the last 2 yrs with your processes as you went, so you got feedback. There are many people here to help you with your questions.:).

There is a lot to consider like -
Insurance
Depending where in the world you are - do you need to register selling your soap.
Do you need to get your soap tested. Again depending on your country.
Do you want to sell locally at markets or online.
Have you given soap away and got feedback.
Is there too many selling soap in your area.
Do you have enough time to keep and get a range of soap.
What makes your soap different from others to get sales.
Are you relying on this for income.
Have you researched who is selling in your area.
Do you have enough capital to buy supplies in bulk to save money.
Have you any business background or have had other businesses.
Keeping of books for tax purposes (again depending on your country).
Is this going to be a business or hobby business.
Are you only selling to friends and colleagues.

Here is a thread that can help you decide if it's right for you.
https://www.soapmakingforum.com/threads/are-you-ready-to-sell-your-soap.16002/

I have considered all of it, and have acquired all documentation and certification needed. I know deep in my heart that I'm ready but it's new to me so I keep second guessing myself. Everyone who has tried my soap rave about them and my recipe is my own. I formulated it over the course of a year. So far I have 12 different varieties and many more in the works. It's just nerves that have got me, like when you first start a new job. You know you can do it, but you are nervous because it feels alien to you.

Yes. Just do it. :)
Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have considered all of it, and have acquired all documentation and certification needed. I know deep in my heart that I'm ready but it's new to me so I keep second guessing myself. Everyone who has tried my soap rave about them and my recipe is my own. I formulated it over the course of a year. So far I have 12 different varieties and many more in the works. It's just nerves that have got me, like when you first start a new job. You know you can do it, but you are nervous because it feels alien to you.

What's the question then?

Needing support. I'm getting cold feet but am excited to make the first step.
I kinda sensed that... been there; done that. You have nothing to worry about, Lilcat, except forgetting something, loading the car/truck and it's out of gas; arriving at the venue 4 hours late, etc. stuff like that! And, trust me, Murphey's Law is always in effect... :p

Latest posts

Back