Question: Soap with Imported Oils Labeled "Made in USA"

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KimW

Reaction score
To learn about other soaping oils, I've been looking at different soap vendors' sites lately. Today I saw one who proudly displays a typical red/white/blue "Made in USA" icon. Then it occurred to me: Their soaps all contain coconut oil. Would love it if I did, but I haven't yet found a USA sourced coconut oil. What's my point? According to the FTC, products labeled "Made in USA" must be "all or virtually all" made in the USA.
From the FTC site (Complying with the Made in USA Standard):
" "All or virtually all" means that all significant parts and processing that go into the product must be of U.S. origin. That is, the product should contain no — or negligible — foreign content. "
It also says that even if a product, like soap, is not required to state country of origin, as soon as it's labeled "Made in USA" the product falls under this "all or virtually all" rule.

What say you all? Do you label your soaps that are made with imported oils as "Made in USA"? Why or why not?

Even though I think this soaper wrongly walks the line between soap and drug by almost making claims about their soaps treating ailments like acne, etc., I can understand how any USA soaper would want to label their soaps "Made in USA" because - well - they made them.

Interesting. I don't think the average consumer of soap gives any thought to where the oils in the soap are sourced, other than the people who worry about the rain forests. But even then, it surprises me that there are US consumers who prefer their soap to be labeled as 'made in the USA'. I get the whole 'buy American' thing, and all, but the way you post your question, to me this leans too much toward a political controversy and those are not really appropriate here at SMF. Please forgive me if that was not your intent.

However, if all you want is to report the soap maker for violating an FTC standard, the information on how to do that is on the FTC website.

Interesting. I don't think the average consumer of soap gives any thought to where the oils in the soap are sourced, other than the people who worry about the rain forests. But even then, it surprises me that there are US consumers who prefer their soap to be labeled as 'made in the USA'. I get the whole 'buy American' thing, and all, but the way you post your question, to me this leans too much toward a political controversy and those are not really appropriate here at SMF. Please forgive me if that was not your intent.

However, if all you want is to report the soap maker for violating an FTC standard, the information on how to do that is on the FTC website.

Oh no - not at all my intent! And, definitely don't want to report the soap maker. I'm really just curious if other folks label their soaps as "made in USA" and, as you say, if they think it necessary or helpful for sales. :)

I'm glad to remove my post (if that's possible), if you think it wise.

Then I should stay out of it, since I don't sell.

But as a consumer, no I don't think it's necessary for sales, as I wouldn't look for it and it would not positively impact my decision to purchase.

It may matter to some folks around here, though, because I've been on the brunt end of 'judgmental statements' regarding my choice of automobile. I don't take kindly to those kinds of judgements on my character, and tend to stay away from such folk thereafter.

It may matter to some folks around here, though, because I've been on the brunt end of 'judgmental statements' regarding my choice of automobile. I don't take kindly to those kinds of judgements on my character, and tend to stay away from such folk thereafter.
I have a very old Swedish car and I live in Northern Michigan - the USA car capital. I still get looks in our teenie tiny town, even after being hit by a deer (poor stupid deer) and not washing it like everyone else does. LOL But I will NOT give up my dependable beast!! Oh and hubby drives an old Prius. We will never be members of the "In" crowd here. 😂

Latest posts

Back