Question regarding kids and lye...

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lelê

Reaction score
Is it ok to mix lye in my kitchen if my kid doesn't have access? I have a gate on the kitchen, so he can't get in.

I do have a very old dog who lives on my kitchen, but he just sleeps on the corner, all the time. *giggle*

I'm *dying* to work on my first batch, but the kid only stays in school (pre-K) for a few hours (3) a day. And also, the school year is about to end.

If I take the precautions for my safety (goggle, gloves and such) and the kid doesn't go in the kitchen, it is ok to mix the lye in there? Anything else I should do?

Thanks in advance! :)

Will there be another adult there to handle your child if he/she needs attention while you're in the middle of making your batch? If not, perhaps the first time you make soap you might invite a friend over, just in case. After the first batch you should have a better idea what to expect and should feel more comfortable with deciding for yourself how to arrange your plans.

I'm sure experienced soapers would be comfortable in the situation you described. I don't have any kids but my dog is here when I'm making soap, and he's not interested, doesn't even come into the kitchen.

Really the critical part is measuring and mixing the lye, through getting the temperatures right, and then adding the lye to the oils. That's typically only 10-20 minutes. That's the only time that would be really critical to not be disturbed.

Greg

As long as you take the proper precautions there is no reason you can't make soap while the kids are at home. Many of us have children and they know they are not allowed in the kitchen when mom/dad is making soap. Just explain to them the why's and the what for's and they will grow up respecting the safety precautions needed for soap making.

Thanks guys!

My son is 4 yo, but he's very *into* what he's doing (he has Asperger's and and when he's into something, he really is INTO it... :lol:) and doesn't really care for what I'm doing in the kitchen, so that part is a bit easier.

Also, my DH works at home, so he can help with my son.

I'm thinking the key will be total organization of the material and steps, which, if you know me, you'll know that that's a battle in itself! :oops: :lol:

Latest posts

Back