Question regarding brown dots and palm shortening

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MommaSoaper

Reaction score
Hi all, problem here :( Brown dots all over soap from fragrance oil. Switched to nurture soap LIlac blossom from BBs Lilac. Triple checked fragrance calculator before using. Mixed like I usually do at 80 degrees. Started accelerating fast in first batch (I'm sure due to over mixing and could have waited to get temp down a bit more). Second batch didn't accelerate as fast. Instead of palm oil I used Palm shortening. Other than those two differences, it's the same soap recipe I always use. Zap tested and they were great.

Two questions: 1) any chance of fragrance dots dissipating or absorbing to the point of "not noticeable?" Or is this batch a give to family batch?

2.) Is there a huge difference when switching from palm oil to palm shortening? It's 100% palm oil.

Thank you for your thoughts and help! And Happy Holidays everyone ❤️

***Update, was told that the palm shortening could be the culprit. The palm shortening I bought was from smart and final and is good through 11/22. It reads 100% palm oil. Has anyone had issues with this shortening?

Attachments

• IMG_20211229_140119954.jpg
    IMG_20211229_140119954.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Hi @MommaSoaper

Admin rules ask that you not post the same question in different places. On the positive side, starting a separate thread like this is the best way to ask your kind of trouble-shooting questions. In case they delete the other two posts (somewhat likely), I'll respond as I did to your other two posts, with a bit more info:

1. Florals are famous for accelerating, and lilac is right up there with the best of them. Low temps, a slow-moving recipe (lard instead of palm, for instance), and less stick-blending are the usual recommendations when using florals.

2. The spots may be fragrance spots; if so, they may reabsorb over time. But honestly, those are most likely honey spots. You mentioned in one of the other posts that you added "honey water" and that you CPOP'd. Honey is a heater, and can easily cause spots like this even without extra heat. Normally I don't CPOP anything with honey in it for that reason. The spots don't hurt anything, but they can attract fruit flies in the summer (ask me how I know).

Hi @MommaSoaper

Admin rules ask that you not post the same question in different places. On the positive side, starting a separate thread like this is the best way to ask your kind of trouble-shooting questions. In case they delete the other two posts (somewhat likely), I'll respond as I did to your other two posts, with a bit more info:

1. Florals are famous for accelerating, and lilac is right up there with the best of them. Low temps, a slow-moving recipe (lard instead of palm, for instance), and less stick-blending are the usual recommendations when using florals.

2. The spots may be fragrance spots; if so, they may reabsorb over time. But honestly, those are most likely honey spots. You mentioned in one of the other posts that you added "honey water" and that you CPOP'd. Honey is a heater, and can easily cause spots like this even without extra heat. Normally I don't CPOP anything with honey in it for that reason. The spots don't hurt anything, but they can attract fruit flies in the summer (ask me how I know).
My apologies for the separate posts. Was trying to troubleshoot but less is probably best in this case. Thank you for responding. I use honey with water now in every recipe and CPOP and have never had this happen. It's such a small amount that I use. Also, the brown dots have smeared a bit on some making me believe that it is the FO.

The only two variables that were different were the new FO and the palm shortening. Lilac from BB accelerated trace but didn't separate like this one did. Same process used for that FO as well. Just used Palm oil instead of the shortening. Again, apologies for the multiple posts. Learning the rules :)

No worries, we have all been on the learning curve. It is really helpful when you give the full recipe and process, including all additives, since those do make a difference.

Back to your soap, although I am not a huge palm user, I really doubt that's the issue unless it's a bad batch. Lots of soapers use that brand without any issues, and I haven't ever had, nor heard of anyone else getting dark spots from any palm.

It definitely could be the FO, although honey spots will also smear. If you are brave enough to taste the spots, you will know. The honey will be sweet to the taste. I can't tell you how the FO might taste, but I'm guessing it won't be sweet. ;)

Back