Question re creating colorants using organics

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I adore these blue shades!! Are you adding the indigo to the water before the lye?

attachment.php

These suggestions are terrific. They inspired me to wait a couple days to make my second batch and spend the time making some natural colorants instead.

So last night I made a couple using what I had on hand-

I had some Mexican saffron from the Fiesta market here, which is actually safflower not saffron. I ground it up super fine, sifted it, and ground it again, which yielded me a modest amount of safflower powder. I also heat steeped some of the safflower in oil instead of grinding and the oil.is a beautiful deep red orange.

I tried infusing seaweed, but all I had was noir (sushi wrapping), and that was a waste of time LOL. So I switched to parsley and it gave me a significantly deeper green oil, which I am pretty sure will barely tint, so I'll be grinding some parsley tonight after work as another opt.

I ground coffee micro fine also, as well as taking cold coffee and simmering it down to a rich concentrate that should yield a rich deep brown.

Besides the parsley, I'm also going to use the last of my turmeric root to make another concentrate, and I'm gonna try carrots too.

I think I have some mustard powder and I wanna try that too. Some of these I want to try straight (mixed in a couple tbs of oil then added to batter), some I'm still working out how I would mix them in LOL.

Keep inspiring me folks :)

Seawolfe yes, I dissolve a small amount of indigo in the lye water (or other liquids). I even do it in goat's milk but then I get a green rather than blue jean blue.

Since some of the crystals are larger and harder to dissolve, sometimes I powder them further using a tiny mortar and pestle. This avoids clumps, or indigo 'dots'. The important thing with the indigo I have is to dissolve it BEFORE adding the lye.

Gigisiguenza, it all sounds good, just be careful with mustard since it can be irritating to some. For a similar color, Annatto will give you a bright yellow, depending on how much you use it can be a lovely yellow. Same with calendula infusions. Good luck to you and have fun!

GS thanks for the note on mustard, and when I can afford to order some supplies online I will be trying the annatto and several others :)

If you live in an/near an area w/a Hispanic population you can often find small packets of annato seeds (all you'll need) on the spice rack/shelf for about a buck. It does produce a beautiful color but (can't remember if a/o noted this earlier), it is *really* staining if you get it on your clothes while infusing/using it. Turmeric - have never used the root, only the powder - is even worse.

If you live in an/near an area w/a Hispanic population you can often find small packets of annato seeds (all you'll need) on the spice rack/shelf for about a buck. It does produce a beautiful color but (can't remember if a/o noted this earlier), it is *really* staining if you get it on your clothes while infusing/using it. Turmeric - have never used the root, only the powder - is even worse.

Ally - thanks I will look for them :)

Nope, hibiscus tea doesn't work either unless you are after brown bleck :(. Tastes good though LOL

Latest posts

Back