Question on printing my own labels

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
G'day! :)

I would like to print labels at home for the scrubs my daughter and I have been making for friends and family We bought 4 oz jars, and the available space for a label to fit would be a maximum width of 1 5/8 (or 1 1/2) and a length of 2.5 or 3" length. I have used Avery's design program in the past to create labels and business cards and am very familiar with the program, so I was hoping to use it for these labels. However, I can't find a rectangular label for our sizing needs. Has anyone found any Avery labels in a rectangular shape that will fit the typical 4 oz plastic jars (we got ours from SKS Packaging)? I also thought maybe I could use a regular full sheet and cut my own labels. Has anyone had success doing that?

Thank you for your help!
Stacie

You can check onlinelabels.com. I've used their labels with Avery before, you just have to enter custom dimensions.

Insert a text box the size you want into your label area. Leave the shape outline lines visible and set to 3 pt or higher. Type whatever you want for the text and use the text box outline to cut straight. For a 4x2 label I can get 2 labels that will fit. One for the front with the name of whatever it is, and one for the back with ingredients listed. I wouldn't want to use this method if I was selling because it is a bit time consuming, but for me as a hobbyist it works well. My labels look neater than if I try to trim them free hand. I don't have a paper cutter and when I cut them with scissors and no guide lines they would always end up a bit wonky looking. But if that doesn't bother you, I don't think anyone I gave wonky labeled things to really cared.

I design my labels in MS Publisher to my own specifications and use Avery full sheet labels and cut by hand, because nobody makes ready-made label templates that match my specifications and I'm too stubborn to alter things to adapt to theirs. lol It's a little bit more time consuming to cut by hand, but I like being free to create whatever weird-shaped label I desire. I suppose it helps that I don't sell and am not making gobs of labels on a consistent basis. If that were the case, I'm sure I'd get over my stubbornness right quick! lol

IrishLass :)

I’ve used the mailing labels for containers that need a small label. They are only an 1” tall but just over 2.5” wife. Depends on what you are putting on the label. I don’t like being constrained though and do something similar to IrishLass.

Awesome! Thank you all so much for the help, suggestions, and input! I think I'll try Dibbles method and see what I think! I really appreciate your help, everyone.

I buy sheet labels in weather proof and then cut them all with a paper cutter/slicer. They stand up nicely for shower products, etc.

I design my labels in MS Publisher to my own specifications and use Avery full sheet labels and cut by hand, because nobody makes ready-made label templates that match my specifications and I'm too stubborn to alter things to adapt to theirs. lol It's a little bit more time consuming to cut by hand, but I like being free to create whatever weird-shaped label I desire. I suppose it helps that I don't sell and am not making gobs of labels on a consistent basis. If that were the case, I'm sure I'd get over my stubbornness right quick! lol

IrishLass :)
LOL, yes you would get over your stubbornness if you had to cut hundreds of labels!!:)

Latest posts

Back