Question on IFRA- cinnamon

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAShillito

Reaction score
This is the report from Brambleberry Cinnamon Swirl FO. How do I determine the total percentage of cinnamon in the fragrance so I can indicate in the description? ( to avoid people with cinnamon sensitivities)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220106-134041_Write on PDF.jpg
    Screenshot_20220106-134041_Write on PDF.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 17
Cinnamon EO is a blend of many chemicals. The proportions of those chemicals will vary depending on the specific EO you're looking at.

Some of the chemicals present in a typical cinnamon EO are probably included in this FO, but probably not all. You will need to compare the relative proportions of all the chemicals in a typical cinnamon EO with all the chemicals in this FO. Until you have those two lists to compare, you won't be able to determine how much "cinnamon" there might be in this FO.

The fine print at the top of this BB list says it shows only the 26 chemicals likely to be allergens per EU regulations. This list does not include ALL of the chemicals in this FO. So even if you knew all of the chemicals that are typically found in cinnamon EO, this list of the 26 allergens is still not going to help you determine how much of this FO is "cinnamon".

My advice --

Use the FO in accordance with the IFRA or EU recommended amounts. Create a US-legal ingredients list (since you're US based) following FDA cosmetic rules and make sure the FO is in its proper order in that list. And provide an allergy caution as Nona suggested. In my experience, most people who are sensitive or allergic to an ingredient don't usually care about the amount; they mainly want to know it's present or not.

Or don't use the FO at all, if you're truly worried about its skin safety.

As someone with a skin sensitivity to cinnamon, I agree with Nona and DeeAnna - just tell me it's in there. I don't really care how much, just that it is there. And THANK you for being careful about that - my skin is itching just thinking about it.

Back