Question on Fondant Inserts

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AAShillito

Reaction score
Those of you that use a fondant mold as a loaf liner, is there a trick to squishing it down to not take up all the room in the bottom of your mold? Or can I safely lay it on top instead. I made a beautiful batch of calendula infused ZNSC with an insert but the bars did not come out as large as I wanted due to the insert ( first time trying).
Can I just safely lay it on top once the loaf is firm enough not to run out?
Thank you!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230117_101304_Etsy Seller.jpg
    Screenshot_20230117_101304_Etsy Seller.jpg
    714.9 KB · Views: 0
The one you have pictured looks like it would be too thick to just lay on top - I don't think you would get the detail (unless you lay it on wet soap and push it down).
The insert I use is very thin with not as much detail as yours, so perhaps it's more the style of the insert you need to consider? Mine is a flat sheet that i cut to fit the mold.

I cut a 1/4” thick mat to fit my Nurture TS mold, which makes bars up to 3.75” tall. I filled the mold to the top and had ~3.5” tall bars at the end. The one caution I have relates to spreading the soap into the crevices of a mat that has a lot of relief. I was a little overzealous the first time and ended up with a lot of air bubbles even though the batter was quite thin.

Those of you that use a fondant mold as a loaf liner, is there a trick to squishing it down to not take up all the room in the bottom of your mold? Or can I safely lay it on top instead. I made a beautiful batch of calendula infused ZNSC with an insert but the bars did not come out as large as I wanted due to the insert ( first time trying).
Can I just safely lay it on top once the loaf is firm enough not to run out?
Not really. Silicone is a solid, not much you can do except to attempt to trim it with a really sharp potato peeler and good luck with that.

Yes, you could try and lay it on top and squish it down and HOPE you get all the air out of it and the soap into all the crevices.

You basically have two options...buy a thinner mat AND accept that your soap is going to be smaller by the thickness of the matt OR buy taller molds than that what you need.

Not really. Silicone is a solid, not much you can do except to attempt to trim it with a really sharp potato peeler and good luck with that.

Yes, you could try and lay it on top and squish it down and HOPE you get all the air out of it and the soap into all the crevices.

You basically have two options...buy a thinner mat AND accept that your soap is going to be smaller by the thickness of the matt OR buy taller molds than that what you need.
I use nurture 5lbs molds. Ill see about a thinner mat. 😁

Latest posts

Back