Question: Name This Problem

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BeesKnees

Supporting Member
Reaction score
"I'll take Crafts for $100, Alex."

This was the latest result from my regular recipe, although it was the first time I had tried CP. Normally I HP it. When I was SB the lye water into the mix little lumps did appear, but I SB them away. I portioned the batter into separate containers to be colored and they did harden much faster than I expected--stirring in the color was a massive effort. I did it by hand, since I knew the cups were full enough that I would spray batter everywhere if I SB. Although the batter was very rigid--I had to glop it into the mold and then spread it with a spatula, there was no "pouring" it--it wasn't lumpy or bumpy. Yet when I unmolded, there was this. Is this ricing? They do look like little grains of rice.

IMG_5198.JPG

Sorry, should have included that first. I'm working on too little sleep due to puppy crying ALL last night for its littermates.

I'm not at home so don't have the recipe on hand. I'll fill it in this evening.
9 oz coconut oil
8 oz palm oil
3 oz stearic acid
Quantities get fuzzy in my memory after this:
something like 21 oz olive oil
15.6 oz? water water
5.2 oz? lye

I am betting it is the stearic acid. it has a really high melting point compared to palm and coconut. It also instantly saponifies, unlike the oils - so if you soaped too cool, those are specs of stearic spots.

Stearic acid is not usually added to CP soaps because of the need to soap so much hotter.

For me CO has to be melted and clear and I SB it into the other oils before adding to the lye mix. Then SB or HAndblend again before pouring. Palm can speed trace too and also needs to be melted as above.
TD or milk can also form those spots.

At what point did you add the fo and did you see the lumps before or after that?

I didn't add an FO this time.

I am betting it is the stearic acid. it has a really high melting point compared to palm and coconut. It also instantly saponifies, unlike the oils - so if you soaped too cool, those are specs of stearic spots.

Stearic acid is not usually added to CP soaps because of the need to soap so much hotter.

That is good to know!!

Ditto what kchaystack said^^^. Dollars to donuts, those are classic stearic spots if you ask me.

The melting point of stearic is 157F/69C. I work with stearic acid when HPing my shave soap and it's quite the bear to work with unless I keep my temps above that. Actually, keeping my working temp at about 180F/82C seems to be my sweet spot for preventing the stearic acid from precipitating out/graining up.

IrishLass :)

Back