[QUESTION] Goats Milk CP

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

blueberrylolli

Reaction score
Hi, I'm trying to follow this guide and Im confused about the process used to make soap from powdered goats milk.

http://candleandsoap.about.com/od/tipst ... lksoap.htm

On page 5 it details how to use powdered goat's milk by first making the milk from powder and then mixing it with oils and add at trace. What does this do to the water ratios? Do you use double the amount of water? Also is there anything preventing you from making the goat's milk from powder and turning it into slushie form and adding lye to that like how you would use fresh goat's milk? Thanks

What does this do to the water ratios?
Nothing, the goats milk is being used in place of water.
Do you use double the amount of water?
No, just use the milk (unless you're doing 50% milk 50% water)
Also is there anything preventing you from making the goat's milk from powder and turning it into slushie form and adding lye to that like how you would use fresh goat's milk?
No, that's exactly how some people do it.

After figuring out how much water your recipe needs, just use add about 1 oz of powdered goats milk for every 8 oz of water in your recipe, mix well and freeze for later use.

OR, divide your total amount of water in half, mix your full amount of lye into half the water, add the other half of water (with half the amount of goat milk powder mixed in) just before you're ready to pour the lye into your oils.

OR, ever so slowly add your lye to your milk keeping it as cool as possible with an ice bath or something along those lines.

The main thing is you don't want the lye and milk to sit together too long as lye will discolor or burn your milk and can stink. Once the lye and milk are mixed, you should almost immediately be adding it to your oils.

ah thanks for your response. so if I do it by the guide way, what do i add the lye to if i added the goat's milk (my liquid) to the oil that's suppose to be added at trace?

If you follow that guide, you'll be:
mixing your goat milk powder into about 2 or 3 oz's of your total oil (no water involved here). Therefore, you'll be mixing your lye into the water that you would have used to make the milk. Then after you mix the lye and regular oils together, you'll add the milk/oil at the very end.

blueberry,

you'll find, as time goes by, that everyone does stuff differently. that is why i have a problem with soaping from books, is there is no one to give you feedback, answer questions, or give more than 1 way to do something.

i use goat milk powder, and add it just before or at trace, and am sure to sb it in totally.

works perfect for me, but may not for someone else. some may scoff at using powder, as opposed to liquid, but i scoff at liquid. imagine what would happen if you put your finger in the lye solution. THAT is happening to your milk. i prefer to add my powder at trace, after the lye has been diluted throughout the oils. to me, in my head, there is less damage done to the milk

even though some say there is damage in the evaporation process, i believe less is done that directly adding it to the lye and letting the lye eat at it for a while.

this is MY process. you may not like, someone else may not like it, but it works PERFECT for me, and i love my soap with it, and will not be using liquid at anytime in the near (or possible distant) future :)

Can someone tell me if there is a difference in the outcome of your soap between, powdered GM or evaporated?
Also I was wondering how to discount my water to disolve the lye and then add your GM after I've added my lye solution to my oils, how would I do that? I've never discounted before, and the only GM I've added was 2TBSP of Powdered GM at trace to one of my batches, I would really like to improve that recipe by adding more GM but don't want to do the frozen GM method.

GM Experiment Tomorrow

I'm making a batch of goat milk soap tomorrow using fresh goat milk. My plan is to substitute the goat milk for half the water. I'll dissolve the NaOH in the water, then dissolve a bit of silk into the lye, then after it's sufficiently cooled, add the goat milk. I'll let you know how that works out.

Back