question from a newbie

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoapDaddy70

Reaction score
Hello everyone. Just made my first batch of CP soap and of course i am officially hooked. I have been researching places to buy colorants and other stuff and read about Nurture Soap.com How are they? All the reviews are stellar. has anyone here used their micas and/or fragrance oils?

Oh yeah - Nurture is one of the MOST respected suppliers! Carrie, the owner is always upgrading and improving her products. She started her business about 7 years ago when I first started soaping - and was selling out of a closet in her office and has expanded...what...4 times since then?

Nurture is also known for it's fantastic customer service and attention to detail. While the pandemic has slowed things down a little, - it's not because Carrie is resting on her laurels!

Hmm....you've reminded me that I need some glow in the dark pigment. Did you notice the free shipping over $25.00?

Nurture is my favorite supplier! Outstanding customer service and quality products. I placed an order on 9/16 and it was delivered on the morning of 9/20. Nurture is in IN and I'm in MN, but even so - that is about what I experienced pre-covid. If you haven't found the fragrance oil review chart yet, here's a link. Reviews of some of the FOs from Nurture are there. Happy shopping!

I tend to spread the love around: Nurture Soap, BrambleBerry, Rustic Essentials, BeScented, Elements Bath & Body. I start with the smallest amounts to test, then purchases larger quantities. Double check your micas to make sure that can be used is CP soap and that they don’t fade.

Nurture is my primary source for micas. I also use Micas and More as well as TKB trading. Though Nurture is pretty much one stop with great shipping and customer service. Their molds are hands down the best. I own 12 of them.

Last edited:
Another Nurture Soap fan here. Ive purchased fragrance oils, micas and wooden molds (they are the best imo) from them and have been happy with everything. They ship really fast too. Another favorite for colorants is Mad Micas. Love everything from them too. For oils and butters I can’t get at Costco I love Soapers Choice. Fastest shipping of any company I have tried and stellar customer service.

Vendors for US (I see you are in NY)

For Micas, most often I use Nurture Soap (in Indiana) & Micas & More (in Kentucky). I also have some from Mad Micas (in Florida). All are very nice. There are so many vendors out there that really get good reviews from our members, but I have not tried them all. Rustic Escentuals in South Carolina sells micas, but I have only used samples I picked up along the way at soapmaking conferences, so can't give a lot of feedback on their micas.

If shipping costs are a concern, as they are for so many of us, look for vendors closer to home, but pay close attention to the descriptions (particularly if the mica in question is for cold process soap, as some micas are not lye stable), and even better if they show what the color looks like in CP soap.

For FOs, there's a really useful spreadsheet here at SMF that lists reviews by SMF members on tons of FOs from all kinds of different vendors, It's a great resource. See this post and scroll to last page for more recent information about the upkeep of the spreadsheet. You can always find the link to the spreadsheet in that thread & also in DeeAnna's signature at the bottom of any of her posts, like this post, for example.

But, feel free to ask for specific advice on FO's or EO's here in Shopping Recommendations as there are so many members here with tons of experience with fragrances that can steer you in directions to obtain well tested fragrances. Always pay close attention to the reveiws & descriptions of how a fragrance behaves in soap and also safe usage rates for soap. These are very important considerations for fragrances.

For oils, my vendor of choice is
Soapers Choice (in Illinois), although I do occasionally buy elsewhere when the price is right. They are very near me geographically, so shipping is low for me; not sure how being in NY would add up when it comes to shipping costs. Some folks on the East Coast like Jewards International (in MA). Generally I buy Coconut Oil and Olive Oils only in grocery stores or grocery outlet stores because I get better prices that way. If you want to use lard, try Walmart. For tallow you'll probably have to use an online supplier or render your own.

For Lye, I prefer
Essential Depot (in Florida) when they have sales (otherwise it's rather expensive), but on sale, it's pretty darn bargain basement for me. Plus I like the bottles their lye comes in, because of the great air-tight hard-to-open child-proof (almost adult-proof it's so good) cap. AND these bottles are perfect for me to keep my master-batch lye solution in after I make it. They are already labeled for me and they are very sturdy & do not deteriorate with lye solution (HDPE plastic). There are plenty of other vendors, many here like The Lye Guy (in NY). His prices are really good, especially if you can pick it up yourself in Pennellville, NY. I actually had some NaOH from The Lye Guy and it was certainly fine lye, but I don't like the flimsy bottles at all. But for a New Yorker, I think it's probably the best price you'll find.

Just made my first batch of CP soap and of course i am officially hooked. I
You have my deepest sympathies. 🤣 I make soap because it keeps me sane and it's cheaper than therapy!
Welcome.gif

Vendors for US (I see you are in NY)

For Micas, most often I use Nurture Soap (in Indiana) & Micas & More (in Kentucky). I also have some from Mad Micas (in Florida). All are very nice. There are so many vendors out there that really get good reviews from our members, but I have not tried them all. Rustic Escentuals in South Carolina sells micas, but I have only used samples I picked up along the way at soapmaking conferences, so can't give a lot of feedback on their micas.

If shipping costs are a concern, as they are for so many of us, look for vendors closer to home, but pay close attention to the descriptions (particularly if the mica in question is for cold process soap, as some micas are not lye stable), and even better if they show what the color looks like in CP soap.

For FOs, there's a really useful spreadsheet here at SMF that lists reviews by SMF members on tons of FOs from all kinds of different vendors, It's a great resource. See this post and scroll to last page for more recent information about the upkeep of the spreadsheet. You can always find the link to the spreadsheet in that thread & also in DeeAnna's signature at the bottom of any of her posts, like this post, for example.

But, feel free to ask for specific advice on FO's or EO's here in Shopping Recommendations as there are so many members here with tons of experience with fragrances that can steer you in directions to obtain well tested fragrances. Always pay close attention to the reveiws & descriptions of how a fragrance behaves in soap and also safe usage rates for soap. These are very important considerations for fragrances.

For oils, my vendor of choice is
Soapers Choice (in Illinois), although I do occasionally buy elsewhere when the price is right. They are very near me geographically, so shipping is low for me; not sure how being in NY would add up when it comes to shipping costs. Some folks on the East Coast like Jewards International (in MA). Generally I buy Coconut Oil and Olive Oils only in grocery stores or grocery outlet stores because I get better prices that way. If you want to use lard, try Walmart. For tallow you'll probably have to use an online supplier or render your own.

For Lye, I prefer
Essential Depot (in Florida) when they have sales (otherwise it's rather expensive), but on sale, it's pretty darn bargain basement for me. Plus I like the bottles their lye comes in, because of the great air-tight hard-to-open child-proof (almost adult-proof it's so good) cap. AND these bottles are perfect for me to keep my master-batch lye solution in after I make it. They are already labeled for me and they are very sturdy & do not deteriorate with lye solution (HDPE plastic). There are plenty of other vendors, many here like The Lye Guy (in NY). His prices are really good, especially if you can pick it up yourself in Pennellville, NY. I actually had some NaOH from The Lye Guy and it was certainly fine lye, but I don't like the flimsy bottles at all. But for a New Yorker, I think it's probably the best price you'll find.
Oh my god, thank you for such a thorough detailed response. Appreciate it so much. Everyone here has been amazing and so helpful. Now I just need to find a bag of money so I can buy tons of materials.

Please do one need to cure soap after adjusting specific gravity to 1275.
Please help a new entrepreneur.

@Michaelsy you will get a better response creating your own thread.

That said... I've never heard of adjusting specific gravity for soapmaking so I'm not sure what you mean. Please start a new thread and give your process, methods, and ingredients.

@Michaelsy you will get a better response creating your own thread.

That said... I've never heard of adjusting specific gravity for soapmaking so I'm not sure what you mean. Please start a new thread and give your process, methods, and ingredients.
How do I create a thread please

Latest posts

Back