Question for those of you who make loofah soaps

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
So I bought some loofahs, and I thought I'd try making some round soaps with them. I know I saw somewhere about how they can be messy to cut afterwards, even with a serrated knife. I thought I'd slice them first and place them in some individual round molds that I have. All the tutorials I've found show them with M&P, so I'm wondering if there are any special techniques I should know when dealing with these things using CP. One tutorial said to soak them first, to fit them in the mold, and it didn't say anything about making sure they were dry before pouring the soap, but I'm not sure if that sounds like a good idea. What do you guys do?

You can soap the loofah and cut it into rounds with scissors while it is wet. Then put each round into individual round molds and pour the soap on top of the loofah. That's how I made loofah M&P bars.

I looked all over for the same information when I made loofah soaps with MP, but couldn't find anything. I decided to wet mine with rubbing alcohol. I was afraid if I used water they would grow moldy. Sorry, I haven't tried loofah with CP yet.

You can always let the rounds dry after cutting. That way you don't have to worry about mold with M&P.

Thanks for your help!!!

blow-kiss.gif

I made some yesterday, I have a cylinder plastic bowl for my stick blender to chop herbs etc. I soaked the loofah, squeezed it out, dried it off with kitchen towel, stood it in the mould and poured mp soap in, makes about 5 slices. I always do mine like this no problem usually

You're wanting to do this CP correct. I've seen it done but not done it yet myself. I would let it dry then pour/dip into CP in single rounds. I don't think I'd want to cut it. I've got this on my list of things to do but haven't had time as yet.

In the past I have just plopped a loofah into a pringles can and poured my soap at light trace over the whole thing. Slices up just fine IME.
Is there a reason to soak it first? might have to try it next time to see if there is a difference. Sadly, I have collected many Pringles cans lately. BAD!

I cut the loofah with scissors after soaking. I then put each round into an individual mold and pour soap over it.

The luffa softens with water. I get mine flattened (cheaper shipping for a flatter box) and they need to be soaked to fluff up. I let them dry before stuffing into a cylinder mold, though. I cut them with a bread knife after I've poured soap into it, but I can't cut super straight. So I would like to see how they are pre-cut.

The luffa softens with water. I get mine flattened (cheaper shipping for a flatter box) and they need to be soaked to fluff up. I let them dry before stuffing into a cylinder mold, though. I cut them with a bread knife after I've poured soap into it, but I can't cut super straight. So I would like to see how they are pre-cut.

I've used both precut and uncut. But in a cylinder mold it's hard to cut the soap it the same spot as the precut luffa.:cry: I know this because I tried it, I even " thought" I marked the intervals. I would love to know how people cut luffa soap from a cylinder mold after the soap is unmolded?

I too have never soaked mine. What is the reason for this?

That's what I was wondering about. I've read about both methods. One reason someone mentioned soaking the loofah was to shape it to fit the mold. But that doesn't always seem to be the case for everyone who soaks it. From what I'm reading though, both methods seem to work. And from what I've been reading, a good, sharp, serrated knife seems to be the way to go for cutting.

I've used both precut and uncut. But in a cylinder mold it's hard to cut the soap it the same spot as the precut luffa.:cry: I know this because I tried it, I even " thought" I marked the intervals. I would love to know how people cut luffa soap from a cylinder mold after the soap is unmolded?

Ah, I wondered about that (if marking the intervals would make a difference), but I haven't tried for because I had my doubts. I have just decided that I don't like making it. Ha.

As girlish charm pointed out soaking the loofah allows it go back into shape. Very seldom do they come perfectly round and this allows them to round back out. In CP soap it doesn't matter if they are damp. But my understanding is that you really need to soak them for them to go back into shape.

I have never soaked my loofah first, not sure why you would. I do prefer individual mold just because I find it hard to cut after soap is made . So I'm curious what people used to cut the soap with loofah inside it .

I have always thought that it expands so if you put it in dry once water did get to the loofah it would expand and split the soap?:smile::smile:

Back