Question for those of you who do outdoor shows

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

navigator9

Reaction score
In all the years that I've been doing craft fairs, I've always done indoor shows. It was the factor of the price of a canopy, also the fact that I do craft fairs alone most of the time, and much as I hate to admit it, I'm no spring chicken any more. But now that I've retired, I'm hoping to do more craft fairs, and I'd love to be able to do some outdoor ones, but the thought of having to drag all of my regular equipment plus a tent, plus tent weights, over a grassy, bumpy field, makes me think twice. It's hard enough over pavement.

I did do one outdoor show, but I paid extra for the tent. A lot extra, but I wanted the experience of an outdoor show, and I loved it. Luckily for me, the tent was already set up, and I was able to drive my car right up to it to unload. So my question is this, about what percentage of times, when you doing outdoor shows, can you drive your car up to your location to make unloading easier?

Most of the outdoor shows are usually close but I'm not able to pull up to my space. I have a fold up flat bed dolly which I'm able to transport most of my stuff on in three trips. Though I do haver ovary my tent and weights. It does help to have at least one extra set of hands but it can be done. It is a lot of work to do them

When I was in CT, the majority of the time you could pull right up to your space, unload, set up and if there wasn't room you would then go park. This was in the country and the vendors got to know one another so we didn't worry about anyone swiping stuff in the five minutes it took to get back.

Even after they opened, if I needed to go to the bathroom I'd just ask my neighbor if they would keep an eye on my tent.

Never had a problem.

All the shows, I could pull up , drop off my stuff in a pile, then go park and come back to setup. One show I could actually park behind my booth. A neighboring market you can pull up but good luck finding room unless you get there obnoxiously early...

It going to depend on the venue and you can ask before signing up if you have to carry in or drive up to unload. We very seldom do any that we have to carry in, but we do have a convertible handcart, from Costco, in case we have to carry in. EZ up does make a nice tent that folds up to a short length and is easy to set up with one person. Someone will always help pull out the tent if you just ask. I have an inexpensive ez up from Sams Club that is miserable for one person to set up. If you are going to do markets often it is really best to go to a display room where you can try out the different models and find one you can handle. Parks, etc that are grass are harder to setup on there is no doubt about that, but are much cooler than parking lots.

I believe I've been able to pull up to all of my tent locations unless there was another vendor in the way.. You just have to have your vehicle out of the show area about 30 minutes before the show starts

Well, this is good news, guys! I have a hand cart that I use to schlep my stuff, but even when I do indoor shows, sometimes the parking lot is full of potholes or big cracks, and I've had the cart tip and stuff go flying. So I was imagining trying to roll the thing, fully loaded, across a field. I can see it now, LOL. But if I could pull the car up, that would make all the difference in the world. I'm going to give this some serious consideration, because there are some great shows I'm missing because they're outdoors. Thanks so much for your input.

smileys-thanks-771216.gif

Unfortunately not all shows let you pull up. When ours are on grassy areas we cannot pull up and have to cart in. Yep hand carts are not particularly fun on bumpy dirt, grassy areas. Just check with the organizer before hand. If the event borders a sidewalk and they are setting up near the sidewalk, maybe you can get there early enough to get an easy accessible space. There is Nothing easy about these outdoor markets, they are hard work

Best thing we've bought for shows are a bunch of the big blue ikea bags. We put the smaller boxes in the and loosely tie the handles shut.

Back