Question for the chemists

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have been using sodium acetate in my soft bar recipes to help with hardening the finished product. Here's the question.
Can I boil off some of the liquid after I react the vinegar with lye or would I lose the sodium acetate along with the water?
I know that "reducing" the vinegar would result in the loss of acid prior to the reaction.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Steve

I have been using sodium acetate in my soft bar recipes to help with hardening the finished product. Here's the question.
Can I boil off some of the liquid after I react the vinegar with lye or would I lose the sodium acetate along with the water?
I know that "reducing" the vinegar would result in the loss of acid prior to the reaction.
I'm not a chemist; I just play one on TV. :)

Sodium acetate isn't volatile, so you can concentrate it if you make it from vinegar. You can also buy it for easier control of how much you use. It's a very effective hardener, as I assume you noticed.

Last edited:
I'm not a chemist; I just play one on TV. :)

Sodium acetate isn't volatile, so you can concentrate it if you make it from vinegar. You can also buy it for easier control of how much you use. It's a very effective hardener, as I assume you noticed.

I have noticed! I am wanting to be able to use coconut milk, salt and the like as well so I thought I'd pose the question to those with more knowledge than I.

I will weigh the solution before and after so I can track the Sodium Acetate concentration. It'll be a good way to use the burner on the side of the barbecue.:mrgreen:

Latest posts

Back