Question for the chemists

SoapMakingForum

Help Support SoapMakingForum:

Steve85569

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been using sodium acetate in my soft bar recipes to help with hardening the finished product. Here's the question.
Can I boil off some of the liquid after I react the vinegar with lye or would I lose the sodium acetate along with the water?
I know that "reducing" the vinegar would result in the loss of acid prior to the reaction.

Thanks in advance for your knowledge.

Steve

topofmurrayhill

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I have been using sodium acetate in my soft bar recipes to help with hardening the finished product. Here's the question.
Can I boil off some of the liquid after I react the vinegar with lye or would I lose the sodium acetate along with the water?
I know that "reducing" the vinegar would result in the loss of acid prior to the reaction.
I'm not a chemist; I just play one on TV. :)

Sodium acetate isn't volatile, so you can concentrate it if you make it from vinegar. You can also buy it for easier control of how much you use. It's a very effective hardener, as I assume you noticed.

Last edited:

Steve85569

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not a chemist; I just play one on TV. :)

Sodium acetate isn't volatile, so you can concentrate it if you make it from vinegar. You can also buy it for easier control of how much you use. It's a very effective hardener, as I assume you noticed.
I have noticed! I am wanting to be able to use coconut milk, salt and the like as well so I thought I'd pose the question to those with more knowledge than I.

I will weigh the solution before and after so I can track the Sodium Acetate concentration. It'll be a good way to use the burner on the side of the barbecue.:mrgreen: