Question: Borax in CP soap

Soapmaking Forum

Help Support Soapmaking Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

orangeblossom

Reaction score
I've heard different sides of the story, borax in CP soap helps to clean, gets the soap to lather more quickly, and it does nothing.

I want to make a "stain stick" kind of soap. I was thinking that in case, borax would help to get stains out, but wasn't sure exactly what to do and what amount would be helpful. I have to look up how much borax to add. Has anyone here made soap with borax? Why/Why not? Do you think a "stain stick" kind of soap would work? (You know, something to wet, rub on stains, let sit a few minutes, then launder) Thanks!

I have read a few times about adding borax or boric acid to CP soap. I think I remember that it is a water softener and helps the soap to lather better, if I remember correctly. :roll: I have never tried it in soap, and there are several recipes that use it in lotions or creams as I think a ph adjuster or to help emulsify the oils and water. I just don't use it. I will try to review some web sites and find an answer for you about using it in CP soap. I do know it is done! :)

Paul.... :wink:

Borax helps if you have extremely hard water. As a stain stick, I don't see it making any difference.
Are you doing a zero superfat?

Irena

Thanks Paul!

And yes, I'm doing a zero superfat. I also thought I'd use orange oil, because I think it helps to cut grease.

I've heard that lard soaps help with stain sticks, but I'm a vegetarian, so I won't be doing that.

Any other ideas?

Back